cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daveatkins
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

prevent duplicate emails from being sent to bcc list

I set up an nprinting email this morning to myself and other internal users, then bcc'd to the list of several hundred end users. They all received a copy for each of the "users" I had added. I know I am doing this "wrong" and I will set it up now so that only one user is listed, but what is the right way to do this?

I have considered importing users, creating groups, etc. but that seems like a huge overhead problem at the moment. Is there an article or something that describes how to handle these kinds of distribution list issues? Really, what I need is a table of hundreds of users and filters to define what data they receive. And NONE of these users would ever be expected to visit the nprinting website. Best case would be to pull the users from a qliksense application where I could verify their access and make updates in the underlying data tables without having to touch nprinting any  more one the distributions are set up.

Labels (2)
4 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

I suggest few options:

1. get NPrinting training from experienced Qlik Partner or Qlik Services
  2. https://help.qlik.com 
    1. https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/April2020/Content/NPrinting/Recipients&Users/User-overview.htm
  3. upgrade to April 2020, this is big change in how users are entered into task and you may find it more convenient for your purpose.

I think this topic is too big to discuss on community as we could spend a day discussing various distribution options. There is no 1 right solution. It all depends on how you need to use your reports, if you have users who need to have reports filtered etc.. 

based on this one line in your question:

....Really, what I need is a table of hundreds of users and filters to define what data they receive....

I would suggest to import all those users using XLS template. It will import all users, create required associations for filters and groups and in your publish task you would just need to list groups you want to send reports to (link above - but make sure you choose the right version of software you are using when visiting help.qlik.com)

thats it!

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
daveatkins
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Thank you for responding; maybe if I clarify the use case there will be an obvious solution since it seems a basic task that is why we purchased Nprinting, but can't figure out how to do...

We need to generate a performance report for several thousand users and their managers. We would then email the report (weekly) to those individuals and to the managers. (e.g. the manager gets a copy of each of their employees reports). We could maintain a spreadsheet or perhaps write another report that would generate the spreadsheet of employees and managers, but we would need to base every run of the report on that; it might change every day as to who gets what.

The process needs to be automated; it's a weekly report. So there cannot be manual interventions where somone has to import users in npriting each time.

A simplification might be that when the report is emailed to the employee, if we could dynamically cc: the manager, that would work.

I will take a look at the link to more info about users, but really, I do not understand why nprinting wants us to be creating users for so many purposes. I do not want them accessing the nprinting server (they may not be able to anyway as they are possibly on networks without access to our reporting systems.)

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @daveatkins 

well, you say above "... I do not understand why nprinting wants us to be creating users for so many purposes...".  I think you missed very important point in NPrinting setup. The fact that you want to create user specific reports with dynamic CC for a user is huge game-changer. It cannot be done unless you create those users. This is how it works.

You need to create those 1000 users as at this stage it will allow you to create a dynamic CC and associate CC record with a user as well as it will allow you to associate respective filters to them. This is the core of NPrinting. 

Everything in this process can be automated as:

• you can automate user creation list
  • you can automate user list update/import/deletion etc
  • you can automate distribution

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

You may also have a read here: https://nprintingadventures.com/2020/06/17/small-big-change-dynamic-email-address/