Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
craggus
Contributor III
Contributor III

Blank report is no longer generated

Afternoon,

We run a daily exceptions report to our delivery staff, showing them orders that were due for delivery today but that have not yet been shipped. It runs using the following filter...

Status = NotYetShipped, Today = 1

Previously, if there were no orders that met this criteria then the recipient would simply receive a blank report attachment. However, since we upgraded our NPrinting version last week (Feb19), the task no longer completes (I assume it is returning an error as the filter returns no records?) - as a result the user receives no attachment, and a message saying that the report failed to generate.

What is the best way to implement this so that even if the result set is blank, the task would still run correctly and a blank email be circulated?

Thanks

Craig

4 Replies
Frank_S
Support
Support

Hi @craggus 

If I understand your requirement correctly, I just wanted to let you know that the April 2019 version of NPrinting provides UI tools that allow you to manage that type of email behavior. Here is the help information about that new feature available since the April release.

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/April2019/Content/NPrinting/AdministeringQVNprinting/MonitorKi...

Note that June 2019 NPrinting release will be out next week around June 25 ish so you might want to move to that version rather than the April release. Check the release notes for April and June (when it becomes publicly available) to see all the feature enhancements etc.

If you are running Feb. 2019 SR 1 version of NPrinting there is a method of modifying a config file to achieve results you are looking for but it must be SR 1 v19.0.4.

See https://support.qlik.com/articles/000064387

The config file settings are not maintained after upgrading so you will need to configure the options in the UI (as mentioned above) next time you upgrade to the latest version of NPrinting.

Kind regards...

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
craggus
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Frank,

Firstly, many thanks for your prompt reply.

Unfortunately my original question contained some duff information, so apologies for that - our Qlik provider recently upgraded our version of NPrinting on our behalf, it looks as though we were taken up to April 2019 (not Feb 2019 as I said in the question).

I've looked through the link you provided, and I can see that there are now various error handling variables that can be set, together with how to handle the distribution of emails in this scenario. I guess the issue I have is that I want to treat a report filter that returns no data as a 'normal' report (I..e. that gets distributed to all recipients as a blank report) rather than as a report failure... all of the variables appear to just relate to error handling though.

Thanks

Craig

Frank_S
Support
Support

Hi @craggus 

I actually suspected that you may have had an older version installed.

What I think happened is that your Qlik service provider 'may' have performed the config file changes possible in the version you were running to enable the same behavior that is now available in the NPrinting web console UI.

I suggest speaking with your provider to find out what they did and which error option in NP April 2019 is most suitable for your situation.

The config file changes are not implemented in an upgrade. They are in fact overwritten as mentioned in my previous post. You will need to determine which error handling option will best work to meet your requirements.

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

Maybe you are experiencing this new feature http://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/June2019/Content/NPrinting/AdministeringQVNprinting/MonitorKill...

This feature is available starting from April 2019 so it could be that it appeared to you after the upgrade:

Email task notifications
Qlik NPrinting can now send email notifications in case of errors, warnings or success for publish tasks, import tasks and connection cache reloading. Email task notification can be configured in the new Task tab under the Admin -> Settings menu. The task notification email will contain a link to the task and, in case of errors or warnings, also a part of the logs.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.