Defect acknowledgement with Nprinting Engine May 2022 SR2, please READ HERE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nrq
Contributor III
Contributor III

How does Nprinting access QlikView docs on another server if the server is password protected?

I have two virtual servers. On one server I want Nprinting Server and Nprinting Engine. On the other server I want QlikView Server. When I'm trying to setup my connection to the QlikView Server in Nprinting console, I check "Requires Authentication" which brings up a field to input my domain/username, but there is no field to input the password. The QlikView Server can only be logged into with a username AND password, so how is Nprinting able to access it if there is no field for password?

Thanks.

Labels (2)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

To be supported with server/cluster connections the two servers need to be on the same domain. NP uses windows auth to form engine sessions to the apps hosted on the QlikView server(s).  Using local connections could be an easy way right now to make this work but could end up being a royal pain down the road trying to refresh data and excessive server demands to host the same app in RAM multiple times concurrently.  Local connections are not meant for prod scenarios unless you know the product extremely well.   I have been able to configure 2 independent NP and Qlik Sense servers to work together in an unsupported way, but I've never tried with NP and QlikView to do the same.  You might need to create another small 3rd windows server to act as a domain controller for the other two in order for this to work in a supported way.   But that begs the next question... what end user features are you planning to deploy?   Newsstand, QV ondemand, web console, API calls?  Each one has auth requirements that might get shaky if the users or developers don't have accounts for these systems. 

View solution in original post

David_Friend
Support
Support

@nrq the TLDR version is this will NOT work, they HAVE to be in the same domain 🙂

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @nrq 

First of all we dont know what kind of conenction you are trying to setup. LOCAL, Server (QVP) or Claster. There are significant differences between those connections and they work totally different. I understand you studied documentation and you already know which type of the connection is suitable and best for your requirement? https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/February2024/Content/NPrinting/GettingStarted/HowCreateConnect...

Now... reading requirements and documentation you also read that:

• Both servers must be in the same domain
  • That there is also windows domain account running services

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/February2024/Content/NPrinting/DeployingQVNprinting/User-accou...

now - what I dont understand from your description is this: "the QlikView Server can only be logged into with a username AND password, so how is Nprinting able to access it if there is no field for password?"

• What do you mean by "logging in to QlikView server"?
  • Are you referring to SMB access to the file which should not require authentication if you already setup access as per documentation
  • Or are you referring to Server connection (QVP) which then uses equivalent of "Open in Server" from QlikView desktop where you provide server address to accesspoint and you dont even need to provide user name and password as SSO should kick in
  • Or you have section access on your document which then requires different conversation as we would need to understand what you are doing in terms of connection type (LOCAL, SERVER or CLASTER) and how you have setup section access?

a lot of unknown in this topic so having those clarified will definitelly help to help you.

cheers

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

Please refer to https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2023/Content/NPrinting/GettingStarted/HowCreateConnections/...and previous chapter with the requirements. Then do a Run Verification after filling the connection form. If you see some red crosses please post the screenshot and answer to @Lech_Miszkiewicz 's questions to allow use to better understand your scenario. 

It is NTLM authentication, it uses the Domain user so you don't need to insert a password.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
nrq
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks for the detailed reply. Based on what you said, I believe my issue is that the server that QlikView is hosted on and the server that Nprinting is hosted on are on DIFFERENT domains. However, I don't see how I solve that problem. 

What I mean is, the domain of each server is literally the virtual computer's name (in other words, the server's name). One server name is VIRTUALCOMP1 and the other is VIRTUALCOMP2. All the users on VIRTUALCOMP1 have the domain "VIRTUALCOMP1". All the users on VIRTUALCOMP2 have the domain "VIRTUALCOMP2".

In the OP when I mentioned needing a field for "password" in the Nprinting console, I was referring to the fact that both these servers require you to login to them using a username/password.

Does that clear things up? Is it possible to link QlikView Server to Nprinting using my aforementioned setup somehow? I was assuming the connection type I needed was "SERVER" but maybe "LOCAL" or "CLUSTER" will work instead?

JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

To be supported with server/cluster connections the two servers need to be on the same domain. NP uses windows auth to form engine sessions to the apps hosted on the QlikView server(s).  Using local connections could be an easy way right now to make this work but could end up being a royal pain down the road trying to refresh data and excessive server demands to host the same app in RAM multiple times concurrently.  Local connections are not meant for prod scenarios unless you know the product extremely well.   I have been able to configure 2 independent NP and Qlik Sense servers to work together in an unsupported way, but I've never tried with NP and QlikView to do the same.  You might need to create another small 3rd windows server to act as a domain controller for the other two in order for this to work in a supported way.   But that begs the next question... what end user features are you planning to deploy?   Newsstand, QV ondemand, web console, API calls?  Each one has auth requirements that might get shaky if the users or developers don't have accounts for these systems. 

David_Friend
Support
Support

@nrq the TLDR version is this will NOT work, they HAVE to be in the same domain 🙂