cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cupelix-qlik
Contributor III
Contributor III

NPrinting May 2021 SR3

How do I replace an existing Report's Excel Template with a New one without having to Rebuild the Report from Scratch again, as i have external Templates i must use which i have no control over.

On the Old NPrinting V16 this wasn't a problem as i just pointed NPrinting to the New Excel Template (which had been adjusted to include the QlikView Object ID) and i was done.

Don't seem to have a option to do this or am I missing something.

Labels (1)
10 Replies
David_Friend
Support
Support

Hi @cupelix-qlik when you edit the report, can you click on the 'Replace' button, that should allow you to replace it with the ZIP of the export report template you want to use.

cupelix-qlik
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

But that exports the entire report & not just the Excel Template. Do I have to replace the Excel Template within the Exported ZIP with a New one, will keeping the same GUID Name that it has?

Just to be clear i'm not bringing in NPrinting 16 Reports. We have fully moved over to the Latest Version of NPrinting back in December.

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

Your goal is not 100% clear to me. Could you add more details?

@David_Friend already suggested the Replace button. More details are in https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2022/Content/NPrinting/AdministeringQVNprinting/Import-expo... 

Another idea could be open in Microsoft Office the old template and copy and paste its content to the new one opened in Qlik NPrinting Designer. You can do the same with HTML templates. This will not add the QlikView or Qlik Sense objects in the treeview.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
cupelix-qlik
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

@Ruggero_Piccoli 

I have National Reports to Submit, The Excel Template that they need submitting on is created by the National Team (different organization) as and when they make changes to their Template, I need to replace the Excel Template within the NPrinting Report I have created so that I don't have to manually add all of the numbers.

So when their Template changed this month, I had to rebuild the Entire NPrint Report from Scratch (so filters etc) as i could find a option to swap out the old Excel Template & replace with  New Excel Template while not making any other changes to the report. As you only get to Select you Excel Template Once when you are first setting up the Report, then the option disappears once you have selected your Excel Template.

So my goal is to Replace National Report v9.2.xlsm with National Report v9.3xlsm within the NPrinting Report Section.

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

The National Report that need to be updated are generated from Qlik NPrinting templates or do you have to replicate them using Qlik NPrinting Reports? 

Is the report from v9.2.xlsm to v9.3xlsm completely different?

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
cupelix-qlik
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I download the National Template from their Website, I then add an Additional Backend Page to bring the Qlik Data into the Template then add Formula to their Front End to pull the data into the correct places.

NPrint is generating the Backend Data. Once the Report is run I can then upload the file onto the National Portal (which checks for version of Excel File is the same as expected)

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

I don't know what National Template are but I suppose they are not native Qlik NPrinting report templates. So, based on your description, what you could do is:

- manually apply the updates from National Template to your Qlik NPrinting templates so you can save time by re-using your previous work

- create a new Qlik NPrinting template by using the updated National Template as Custom report template. You will have National Template updated but you have to rebuild the backend

Qlik NPrinting cannot keep parts of an existing template and upgrade/replace other parts automatically. You have to manually apply the updates.

When posting questions like this I suggest you to add more details to help us to well understand the question from the beginning. This will speed-up the resolution. For example screenshots of your templates, link to external resources, etc. Please also add the label with the correct version of Qlik NPrinting you are using and a title that summarize the question. Thanks.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
cupelix-qlik
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

The Version of the NPrinting i'm using is in the Title.

I have made it clear multiple times what I'm trying to do and I'm not about to post sensitive information on a forum.

But i will try yet again.

Log in to Nprinting > Go to Reports Section > Create Report > Add Title > then Type = Excel > Then Choose App.

At this point you can choose a Template of Empty File or Custom, then setup the rest of the Report Options. Then Edit Template to add the Tables etc from the Qlikview App.

In my example (i use the Custom Option) I have to use a 3rd Party Template v9.2.xlsm when i set this report up last year, I now have to use Template v9.3.xlsm. However once a Report has been Created the first time the option to Select a Custom Template is no longer available.

I am unable to edit the existing Excel Template via the Edit Template Button as this isn't a Excel file that i have created like most of our reporting.

The difference between the 2 Excel Templates is not important, I have to upload the latest version of the template to the National Portal otherwise it rejects the upload.

In the Old NPrint Software v16 prior to Qlik Building their own, to do this I just needed to change the Link to the Template on the server, without needing to do all the filters & Tables.

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

I think in your scenario the faster way is to create a new template by using the updated third party file as custom template, copy and past from previous template version the parts that are in common and manually adapt the result to the needs of the portal you will upload the generated reports.

All report templates are editable at any time after the creation by opening the Qlik NPrinting Designer via the Edit Template button by all users that have the Designer built in role o a custom security role with editing privileges (Security Roles -> Apps -> Reports -> Edit template) at least for the app you are working with.

Qlik NPrinting is a different product compared with QlikView NPrinting 16 so some features, like the link to template files, work in a different way or can be missed. Templates are stored in a mixed format files plus database records so manually changing the internal parts of a Qlik NPrinting installation is not supported, not documented and can resulted in a no more working installation.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero