cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dspec
Contributor
Contributor

NPrinting Module

We have a Qliksense dashboard that is deployed and in production that using the nprinting module to generate a formatted PDF document from the selections the user makes in a table.  We have noticed some odd behavior, though, with the nprinting module and have some questions about why we may be seeing some of the behavior we see.

When the user clicks the export to PDF button and the dialog opens, they then click the "Quick Report" button, which begins generating the PDF document.  If they sit there and wait for the document, on average it takes around five minutes for the formatted PDF to complete, and then the download link to appear.  However, we have noticed that if they click the "Quick Report" button a second time, while they are waiting for the first PDF document to generate, this greatly speeds up the generation of the first document - the time it takes to finish is reduced to 1 to 3 minutes.  As we have users that are generating PDFs throughout the day - many of them are clicking the button more than once to get their PDF faster.  Is there a reason that queuing up a second document for generation would cause previous documents to complete in a shorter amount of time?

One issue that this is causing is we are then using the nprinting admin log information to attempt to arrive at a count of how many pdfs were generated by which users.  Because so many users are pressing the button multiple times, this is causing a lot of duplication in those counts.  Because the log simply displays the type of document, the user, the status, and the date the document is generated, it's difficult to determine the true count by removing duplicates.  Is there any way that attributes from the filtered Qliksense table can be also stored in the log?  They are selecting what amounts to a unique identifier when they are filtering the table, if that attribute could be included in the nprinting log, it could be used to remove the duplication.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Labels (2)
1 Reply
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi, I think your question needs to be investigated by someone from Qlik. We will not know IP and all easter eggs Qlik has put into NPrinting. 

@Ruggero_Piccoli - is this a case for support to answer this odd behaviour?

Obviously I will do my own testing trying to replicate it.

My guess is though that many things in here can be situational. Things we have to remember are:

• it is not only NPrinting producing report
  • there is cache benefit in Qlik Sense which will always work faster when you apply the same selection second time
  • the larger data volume the more visible it will be
cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.