cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mcintyb1
Contributor II
Contributor II

NPrinting bulk scheduling

I'm wanting to to hear ideas of how to best manage bulk task triggers now that the feature of assigning many tasks to a schedule is no longer available which was handy to trigger one process in the event something went wrong with hardware or software. What is the best method of finding all impacted tasks in the event they need to be retriggered - are people using APIs or interrogating PostgreSQL database? Another great feature of schedules was that it would trigger one task at a time and upon completion move onto the next task, which would make sure the server/s were not overloaded with many tasks triggering simultaneously. If I recreate the task triggers to align with v16 schedules then this would be the outcome, so do I now need to consider an individual trigger time for each task - allow a few minutes between triggers? I am in the midst of setting up the task triggers in version Nov 2020 so I'm not wanting to go down one path only for the process to fall over, so your feedback will determine my set up strategy.

In my existing v16 environment I had 120 tasks (300 odd reports) and 33 schedules (most triggering on a daily basis), so roughly a 4 to 1 ratio. Some schedules would have 15 to 20 tasks triggering, and the schedules made it easy to maintain and retrigger all the tasks in the one action in the event of a failure. Schedules would also sequence the task timing automatically. A similar scheduling strategy will be required ongoing hence this would not be open for change to suit the new NPrinting version functionality.

mcintyb1_0-1616637652046.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
David_Friend
Support
Support

@mcintyb1 sorry this never got a reply, what did you figure out?

View solution in original post

2 Replies
David_Friend
Support
Support

@mcintyb1 sorry this never got a reply, what did you figure out?

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Well @David_Friend  looks like your question became the solution to @mcintyb1 problem 🤣 

On the serious note though we know that the only solution for this kind of issue is maintenance of task triggers via API. You need to build your own scheduler tool or simply use QlikView or Qlik Sense Rest connector to trigger task via API from QlikView or Qlik Sense app reload. That logic can group and maintain tasks, allow for them to be triggered in certain order and can maintain dependencies ifrequired. There is a lot of topics on community which cover API and task dependencies so quick search solves this problem.

cheers 

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.