Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Clevano
Contributor II
Contributor II

NPrinting variable not showing all possible values

Hi,

I have a simple data model with customer.name, customer.type, customer.country and sales data. In a specific benchmark report I need to select a customer, and show data from customers that have the same customer.type, but  having the same or additionally selected countries. For example I select customer A  who is customer type X from country Belgium,  and then I select Belgium (that was white), and also France and Germany (greyed out but still I select them). In Qlik Sense formula '=GetFieldSelections([Customer.Country], ', ', 8)' shows 'Belgium, France, Germany' but in NPrinting it shows only Belgium. I tried the NPrinting Variable (taken from Qlik Sense), I tried the NPrinting formula with the same syntax, I even tried the NPrinting Image which refers to a text object in Qlik Sense, all only showing Belgium, ignoring France and Germany. Any suggestions please? 

NPrinting MAy 2023; Qlik Sense Enterprise for Windows May 2023

Labels (1)
13 Replies
Clevano
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

@Ruggero_Piccoli 

Thank you Ruggero for your compact answer. 

I am sorry not having found or understood what the above mentioned app.selectionState() supports and what is doesn't support.
I am not a programmer and can't dive into APIs , Java, CSS or alike. I use the powerful syntax in Qlik Sense script and in chart expressions. I rely on the front end solution Qlik offers, including NPrinting with OnDemand feature, so I believe that @Lech_Miszkiewicz asked the right concrete questions: 

• So the bottom line is: Is there any documentation on what selection state is being passed with OnDemand NPrinting call? 
    • is it current selection state? which in some cases can show excluded values (for example with E() in set analysis)
    • or is it only "possible" state which basically only passes through to NPrinting only "green" (selected and possible) values from selection state.

In other words, the  app.selectionState() will work with Set analysis ? Or only if this narrows slections even further, and not when expanding datasets? Will or won't work with E or P expressions? What role do variables play? ... 

And finally, is there any possible technique to deliver something for the scenario I posted on 16th of August. I can take no for an answer 🙂 

Thank you

Kind regards,

Bruno.

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi Bruno,

Qlik Sense sends the current selections, not the possible ones.

If you want to ask a new feature you can post it in the ideation portal or ask to your sales rappresentative.

Best Regards,
Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @Clevano 

So i just did a quick test and indeed it behaves as i thought:

In the screenshot on left you see that i have selected:

• Customer (2015,2016,2017)
  • Product (Product 1)
  • In Qlik Sense GetCurrentSelections() returns: Customer (2015,2016,2017) and Product (Product 1) - we can also see that because of Product 1 selection my Customers 2016 and 2017 are greyed out (but they are still selected)
  • Now when we run NPrinting OnDemand from that selection it only applies "possible/green" data as filters, which significantly changes context of current selections state, because you cannot show now "Excluded" values by using E() in set analysis.

Lech_Miszkiewicz_0-1692865540929.png

Now, this is only OnDemand functionality issue as applying such combination of filters directly as report or task filter produces expected results.

@Clevano - as @Ruggero_Piccoli mentioned this is all what we know here about it. I think you may need to open support ticket with Qlik to get more answers as it would be assigned to engineer who would be able to answer more about questions regarding selections state passed through via OnDemand Qlik Sense extension/component. 

as to actual workaround - well there would be definitely possibility of  getting it done, but it would involve complete change of your data model, where fields you apply selections on would be loaded as island fields so there would be no association on them hence values would not be excluded when selection is being passed.

cheers

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Clevano
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thank you very much Lech.

The suggestion to work with data islands  seems a good idea and something I can work on.

Kind regards

Bruno.