cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SHurleySteward
Contributor II
Contributor II

PPT table trendline in NPrinting

Making a chart in powerpoint because they want to have the data and chart all matching up like this:

SHurleySteward_0-1631816342155.png

I can get the data to pull in correctly,  and most everything in the chart, but I cannot create a trendline (dotted blue). 

SHurleySteward_1-1631816628022.png

There's no data when I'm working in the template, so the trendline option won't activate to select.  I've tried copying in the chart once it's rendered with an added trendline, but if I try to regenerate the report, I get weird errors.

I tried adding some hard-coded data long enough to create a trendline, but Trendline was still greyed out.

I suspect the answer is:  can't do that.  But I figured I'd throw out the question, in case I overlooked something obvious (or even something tricky).

Thanks!

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

Once you go over my testing below you may have a good or bad news. 

In short if your goal is to add trendline to your line on chart it is all easy and possible. 

I started my testing from PowerPoint (not NPrinting Power Point but simple PowerPoint File). I created empty slide and clicked add chart. I used stacked bar chart and then changed one of the series to line. So when I do this trendline is not available. My understanding is that Power Point does not know how to support such configurations by default so you need to help it little bit.

Lech_Miszkiewicz_1-1631829917315.png

From the chart we see that 2 series are having stacked mode and line is just regular line. If I click on one of the segments of the stack I am still unable to add trendline as I guess it cannot do this for stacks and it seems to be powerpoint limitation... However I am able to right-click on the line on the chart and click "Trendline" (first screenshot below already in NPrinting) and that opens the menu where I can choose options for it (next screenshot below). 

Lech_Miszkiewicz_5-1631831118263.png

Lech_Miszkiewicz_3-1631830880938.png

after runnig preview trendline appeared cirrectly on the chart without issues ( see highlighted below)

Lech_Miszkiewicz_4-1631830995548.png

To simplify work flow I do all setup with few rows of data populated in the chart and once I am happy with look and feel I remove records which I dont need (see below .gif)

Lech_Miszkiewicz_6-1631831869473.gif

Summary:

• you need to choose series from the chart to which you want to apply trendline and that series cannot be a stacked one and you good to go. That is a good news as I think this will solve your issue.
  • workaround for series which is stacked would be to create trend series directly in Qlik table and bring it in to the chart just as normal data. Drawback will be that such solution will bring 4th series to your chart and will be visible in the table bellow as 4th row of data.

Hope this helps.

cheers

Lech 

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

Once you go over my testing below you may have a good or bad news. 

In short if your goal is to add trendline to your line on chart it is all easy and possible. 

I started my testing from PowerPoint (not NPrinting Power Point but simple PowerPoint File). I created empty slide and clicked add chart. I used stacked bar chart and then changed one of the series to line. So when I do this trendline is not available. My understanding is that Power Point does not know how to support such configurations by default so you need to help it little bit.

Lech_Miszkiewicz_1-1631829917315.png

From the chart we see that 2 series are having stacked mode and line is just regular line. If I click on one of the segments of the stack I am still unable to add trendline as I guess it cannot do this for stacks and it seems to be powerpoint limitation... However I am able to right-click on the line on the chart and click "Trendline" (first screenshot below already in NPrinting) and that opens the menu where I can choose options for it (next screenshot below). 

Lech_Miszkiewicz_5-1631831118263.png

Lech_Miszkiewicz_3-1631830880938.png

after runnig preview trendline appeared cirrectly on the chart without issues ( see highlighted below)

Lech_Miszkiewicz_4-1631830995548.png

To simplify work flow I do all setup with few rows of data populated in the chart and once I am happy with look and feel I remove records which I dont need (see below .gif)

Lech_Miszkiewicz_6-1631831869473.gif

Summary:

• you need to choose series from the chart to which you want to apply trendline and that series cannot be a stacked one and you good to go. That is a good news as I think this will solve your issue.
  • workaround for series which is stacked would be to create trend series directly in Qlik table and bring it in to the chart just as normal data. Drawback will be that such solution will bring 4th series to your chart and will be visible in the table bellow as 4th row of data.

Hope this helps.

cheers

Lech 

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
SHurleySteward
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Excellent.  Thank you for the detailed steps.  I was in the right ballpark, but failed to set up the temporary data correctly.  I have it working now (my customers will be pleased!).