cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nrq
Contributor III
Contributor III

Random Objects Not Showing Data in Nprinting .xls Report

I have an Nprinting report based on a QVW. This Nprinting report has 7 small scatterplot images displayed on one page/tab in .xls format.

The problem occurs after I open the emailed .xls after running the report. Normally only 5-6 of the objects show data. 1-2 objects are always missing data. Here's the weird thing, though. For the objects missing data, they still show the object's title and legend (as if the data is supposed to be there), however, no points are plotted on them at all. The space where the data points are supposed to be plotted is completely blank.

This is definitely an issue with Nprinting. When I open the QVW all the data is there. In addition, when I go into Nprinting settings and change the Quality of the report from "Normal" to "Very High" and run the report again, the objects that are missing data will change. There will still be 1-2 objects that are missing data but it won't be the same objects as when I run it at "Normal" quality.

The QVW that feeds this Nprinting report is only 5MB in size. I will say that these objects are plotting a lot of data points, though. My theory is that it seems Nprinting cannot process all of these data points and therefore is only showing them for some of the objects? I need all 7 objects in one report and on one page/tab.

Any help would be appreciated.

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

NPrinting is using QlikView to plot your data so it is not limiting which objects can be shown and which cannot.

Now lets start from the basics:

• Just making sure you have dedicated server for NPrinting and different dedicated server for QlikView
  • Just making sure all requirements regarding setup and accounts are met: https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2021/Content/NPrinting/DeployingQVNprinting/Planning-your-d...
  • Please provide the exact version of QlikView server you are using
  • Please provide the exact version of QlikView desktop installed on the NPrinitng Engine machine - it must be the same as QlikView server version
  • Please provide the type of the NPrinting connection to that qvw (is it LOCAL, QVP or CLUSTER)?
  • Is your QVW supported? There is long list of unsupported objects mentioned under this link and ALL unsupported objects MUST be removed from QVW to ensure it can work properly with NPrinting: https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2021/Content/NPrinting/GettingStarted/HowCreateConnections/...
  • Are objects used as source data for NPrinting having any of:
    • Conditional show (under chart-->properties-->layout)?
    • Conditional measures (uder char-->properties-->expression-->Conditionalcheckbox)?
    • Calculation condition (under Chart--> Properties-->General)?
  • Are there any other services running on NPrinting server (like SQL server or anything else) or is it dedicated only for NPrintign box?

Now regarding your template:

now... this statement is not quite right --> ".. My theory is that it seems Nprinting cannot process all of these data points and therefore is only showing them for some of the objects?  .." . NPrinting is using QlikView to generate data or images and copies them to template. The fact that some of them may not be generated properly usually lies in:

• wrong or usnusported configuration of qvw (it can work sometimes and sometimes it may not work. argument that something "used to work" and does not work anymore is not valid in such scenario)
  • wrong or unsupported configuration of your environment (often missed if all steps were not follow precisely as per help document online)

looking forward to hear back from you

cheers

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

NPrinting is using QlikView to plot your data so it is not limiting which objects can be shown and which cannot.

Now lets start from the basics:

• Just making sure you have dedicated server for NPrinting and different dedicated server for QlikView
  • Just making sure all requirements regarding setup and accounts are met: https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2021/Content/NPrinting/DeployingQVNprinting/Planning-your-d...
  • Please provide the exact version of QlikView server you are using
  • Please provide the exact version of QlikView desktop installed on the NPrinitng Engine machine - it must be the same as QlikView server version
  • Please provide the type of the NPrinting connection to that qvw (is it LOCAL, QVP or CLUSTER)?
  • Is your QVW supported? There is long list of unsupported objects mentioned under this link and ALL unsupported objects MUST be removed from QVW to ensure it can work properly with NPrinting: https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2021/Content/NPrinting/GettingStarted/HowCreateConnections/...
  • Are objects used as source data for NPrinting having any of:
    • Conditional show (under chart-->properties-->layout)?
    • Conditional measures (uder char-->properties-->expression-->Conditionalcheckbox)?
    • Calculation condition (under Chart--> Properties-->General)?
  • Are there any other services running on NPrinting server (like SQL server or anything else) or is it dedicated only for NPrintign box?

Now regarding your template:

now... this statement is not quite right --> ".. My theory is that it seems Nprinting cannot process all of these data points and therefore is only showing them for some of the objects?  .." . NPrinting is using QlikView to generate data or images and copies them to template. The fact that some of them may not be generated properly usually lies in:

• wrong or usnusported configuration of qvw (it can work sometimes and sometimes it may not work. argument that something "used to work" and does not work anymore is not valid in such scenario)
  • wrong or unsupported configuration of your environment (often missed if all steps were not follow precisely as per help document online)

looking forward to hear back from you

cheers

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

You have objects with data in the source QVW but the same objects has no data in the report delivered by Qlik NPrinting. I suspect there are filters in user, report, task or objects that returned an empty data set.

Add a formula with =getcurrentselections() in the template and send the report again. Check also the objects delivered without data in the template to see if they have object filters.

If this doesn't solve please post some screenshots. 

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
nrq
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks for the reply. I went down your list and here is some info. The rest of your bullet points were of no issue:

1. Our Nprinting is on the same server as QlikView.

2. The Nprinting connection type to the QVW is Local.

3. QlikView Server version is April 2019 SR1.

4. QlikView Desktop application for Nprinting is the same (of course because QlikView and Nprinting are on the same server in our setup).

So is having the Nprinting and QlikView on the same server causing the issue? Is it the fact that our Nprinting Server version is June 2020 SR1?

Frank_S
Support
Support

Thank you @Lech_Miszkiewicz for requesting key information. You've mention the key points of course all of which 'may' play into the poster's issue.

First @nrq

Remaining in an unsupported state leave you vulnerable to unexpected issues. It's not clear if the issue is caused by this unsupported state or not. However, to troubleshoot effectively it would be prudent to ensure (some of course are repeats of Lech's comments):

That said, I also agree with @Ruggero_Piccoli in that filters use on Qlik report objects (images or tables), users, reports, tasks might be causing the chart behavior.

So I suggest carefully going back over Lech and Ruggero's points to ensure that you cover the points mentioned. It's a lot but there is gold in their posts.

Kind regards...

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Frank,

In this scenario and based on the fact that simply running task with different quality changes behaviour i think we could exclude filters from issues causing this problem and would focus on making sure environment is supported in the first place.

This opinion is based on initial info we received from @nrq: "...When I open the QVW all the data is there. In addition, when I go into Nprinting settings and change the Quality of the report from "Normal" to "Very High" and run the report again, the objects that are missing data will change..."