cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
devan9876
Creator
Creator

Run macro in PowerPoint

I prefer to have Nprinting send data into the native PowerPoint charts/shapes/textboxes rather than use screenshots as I find they tend to look more crisp and professional. However sometimes I want the bars on the chart or the background color of the textbox to be conditionally colored based on the value that Nprinting stamps there.

I know how to do this with vba macros but I don't see a way to have Nprinting execute the macro before saving the file.

Is there a way to enable the execution of macros as the file is being saved or could it be added in a future update?

Either that or Nprinting to allow us to color the bars/backgrounds of the native PowerPoint objects via qlik expressions.

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

1. PPTM  templates can be used as report templates but NPrinting only creates PPTX or PDF output from power point based templates - so no macros for PowerPoint
  2. NPrinting never executes macros when creating reports, macros (currently in excel) can be triggered "on open". I played some time ago with the excel template which would run macro "before save", but it was not reliable solution and very unpredictable causing task failure. As you can imagine having macro like this was hard, because it was executed every time you tried to save template. (below is just a concept showing the BeforeSave option i used)
    1. 1.png

As per your requests: Feel free to log an idea on community Ideation page: https://community.qlik.com/t5/Ideas/idb-p/qlik-ideas

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

1. PPTM  templates can be used as report templates but NPrinting only creates PPTX or PDF output from power point based templates - so no macros for PowerPoint
  2. NPrinting never executes macros when creating reports, macros (currently in excel) can be triggered "on open". I played some time ago with the excel template which would run macro "before save", but it was not reliable solution and very unpredictable causing task failure. As you can imagine having macro like this was hard, because it was executed every time you tried to save template. (below is just a concept showing the BeforeSave option i used)
    1. 1.png

As per your requests: Feel free to log an idea on community Ideation page: https://community.qlik.com/t5/Ideas/idb-p/qlik-ideas

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
devan9876
Creator
Creator
Author

@Lech_Miszkiewicz 

Thanks for the reply.

Do you know if the fact that NPrinting never executes macros when creating reports is a technical limitation or something they just chose not to allow?

I have to imagine that under the hood Nprinting is using the same Microsoft office API that macros use when Nprinting is replacing the tags with data/images so I would think it  would be possible for it to run a user generated macro at the end of the process.

I have tried to post an idea before but apparently community accounts can only VOTE on ideas, not post them.

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @devan9876 

My knowledge is only limited to what we can see in release notes, documentation and topics on community. I don't have any insights on whether feature you would like to have is technically viable .

As per ideas you may want to speak to your Qlik Account or Partner to request that feature for you.

thanks

Lech