Did you mean: 
sfloberg
Partner - Contributor III

User with two filters on same field

I have two NPrinting reports:

• Total 
  • Cycle on Field1

I have an Excelfile with the users. One tab for the Total report and one that I use for the cycling report:

TabTotalReport:

•  User

TabCyclingReport:

• User, Field1
    • 18658, 33
    • 178596, 11

I use this file and some code to create the users, groups, filters and so on and then import them to NPrinting. So all filters for the Total users are set to '' in the script but I give the user a group name and so on. And everything works fine! But when I start the tasks for the reports the Total task somehow starts to cycle on Field1 (task executions). I don't have the cycling enabled.

If I put the filter for the total user on the report and preview everything works fine.

So the only thing I can guess is that when I run the TASK NPrinting doesn't like that I have two filters for the same Field on one user. One with Field1 = '' and one with Field1 = 33 for the same user and connection. In the task I specify which group I want it to send the report to and I choose the one that have Field1 = '' for the Total report. But it feels like it gets override by the other group where every user has a value: Field1 = 33.

Any solutions?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

yes correct - you still need to have 2 separate connections for this to work and obviously set filters to respect those connections (when creating filter you are declaring which connection filter will use).

Let us know how you go.

cheers

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi @sfloberg 

If those 2 reports are having user filters which should not affect each other those reports need to have 2 separate connections. You can make 2 separate connections to the same Qlik Sense app and then create filters specific for each connection. If the connections are different then the filters will not cancel each other.

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

To add to it. 

1. Filters are not assigned to groups but to users
  2. Assumption based on your description is that you have
    • 1 Task
    • 2 Reports - both reports use the same connection to the same app
      • Report 1 based on User Filters
      • Report 2 based on User Filters
  3. Once you start your task report 1&2 filters mix as they are relating to the same user who has 2 filters cancelling each other or affecting each other

Is the above scenario you are experiencing?

If yes - then the solution would be as mentioned before to create separate connections for each of the reports

cheers

sfloberg
Author

All is correct BUT I have two tasks, not one.
Should I try separate connections anyway?

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

yes correct - you still need to have 2 separate connections for this to work and obviously set filters to respect those connections (when creating filter you are declaring which connection filter will use).

Let us know how you go.

cheers

Lech

sfloberg
Author

I can try it. But just a thought; Can't I just override the field on the report-level?

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

You can, But that means this filter possibly will cancel/override all other filters also on the connection so you may have unpredictable results in the end especially if you have more than one field in the filter (for example period filter selection).