Defect acknowledgement with Nprinting Engine May 2022 SR2, please READ HERE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ioannagr
Creator III
Creator III

how to reload connection metadata automatically (not manually) for automated daily reports

Hi experts.

I have noticed that in order for the new data from Qlik Sense to reach my excel report in nprinting, I have to manually "Reload Metadata" for the specific Connection.

My question is: 

When I create a report  in Nprinting from Qlik Sense App Production Data which gets updated every day , the daily report that sends out will be automatically updated without me "reloading metadata" ?

Labels (2)
9 Replies
Lucas_Gatling
Support
Support

You can create Nprinting tasks in the Web console to update the metadata connection. The correct order to do things to make sure your reports are up to date with correct data is to 1) Reload the Sense app via the QMC  2) Create and run the connection tasks that reload the metadata from Sense to NP 3) Run NP task for your NP report. 

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/nprinting/May2021/Content/NPrinting/GettingStarted/HowCreateConnections/...

If the issue is solved please mark the answer with Accept as Solution.
ioannagr
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi @Lucas_Gatling  and thank you for the quick response. I am not the QMC admin, so because I'll need to point my coworker somewhere, could you please give me more info on step 1) Reload the Sense app via the QMC?

Lucas_Gatling
Support
Support

Your QlikSense admin will just need to create a reload task in the QMC for the Sense App (QS App ID) that you have an NPrinting connection with. They just need to schedule a daily, weekly or monthly task for that app to reload. The workflow should work as 1) Sense source App is reloaded 2) Nprinting Metadata connection is reloaded 3) NP report task is run. 

This work flow will ensure that the newest data will be in the NP reports.

If the issue is solved please mark the answer with Accept as Solution.
ioannagr
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Okay, I'll contact him asap and let you know if something is up, otherwise I'll come back to thank you and mark your post as a solution 🙂

Digvijay_Singh

We don't run Metadata connection if no change is made in the visuals. Regular Data reload in the app doesn't need metadata refresh. Only need to schedule your app reload and trigger nprinting tasks after data reload is completed. In fact we trigger our nprinting tasks from Sense trigger apps using REST connections once the reload finishes. The whole chain is automated using the following setup.

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-NPrinting-Discussions/How-to-use-Qlik-NPrinting-APIs-inside-a-Qli...

There are many more good posts in community to create above kinda setup.

Thanks,

TusharDev_Qlik
Creator II
Creator II

@Lucas_Gatling  we do not schedule the metadata reload for each connection, still we get updated reports after Publish task in Nprinting completes(as the source app reload already completeed). Is it mandatory to have metadata reload before running the publish task?

Ruggero_Piccoli
Support
Support

Hi,

No, if you are using connections to Qlik Sense and you don't change the structure of the app (for example by adding a chart) you don't need to reload the cache.

Best Regards,

Ruggero

Best Regards,
Ruggero
---------------------------------------------
When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads with a LIKE if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads with LIKEs if you feel additional info is useful to others.
Saurabh_K14999
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi,

If your data gets updated daily you don't need to reload meta data for that it has to be done in the QMC tasks by scheduling the reload and the data automatically gets updated in the N printing reports too.

Also, Only if you make some changes to the sense app for e.g adding a new column to the table you need to reload meta data and that has to be done manually.

Best Regards,

Saurabh.

Frank_S
Support
Support

For more on NP connection reload behavior, see:

Please remember hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!