Skip to main content
Announcements
July 15, NEW Customer Portal: Initial launch will improve how you submit Support Cases. IMPORTANT DETAILS
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jzambranodba
Contributor
Contributor

Best practices for large tables

Hi All,

I wanted to check what is the best practice for making changes to large replicated tables from SQL Server to Redshift using Attunity. We are currently on version 5.5.0.367 and we occasionally have to make changes to the table on the SQL Server instance like adding columns and changing data types.

Most of the time it works well but occasionally we have to reload the entire table because it was not able to apply the changes to redshift for whatever reason.

Due to the size of the tables it tends to cause latency to balloon and it affects other replicated tables under the same task.

I tried looking at the documentation and wasn't able to find any best practice recommendations for making changes to large replicated tables (or replicated tables in general).

Any advice or pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lyka
Support
Support

Hello,

In Full Load replication mode, you can accelerate the replication of large tables by splitting the table into
segments and loading the segments in parallel. Tables can be segmented by data ranges, by partitions, or by
sub-partitions.

Please refer to the Replicate user guide for source and target endpoints that are supported when using Parallel load.

thanks,

Lyka

View solution in original post

2 Replies
David_Fergen
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hi Jazambranodba,

Thanks for the question! I noticed you are on version 5.5. I would highly recommend that you upgrade to 7.0 to take advantage of some of the new features that would help you vastly with your large tables. Some of these new features are parallel loading.

If you need any help in upgrading feel free to let us know! 

Thanks,

David

lyka
Support
Support

Hello,

In Full Load replication mode, you can accelerate the replication of large tables by splitting the table into
segments and loading the segments in parallel. Tables can be segmented by data ranges, by partitions, or by
sub-partitions.

Please refer to the Replicate user guide for source and target endpoints that are supported when using Parallel load.

thanks,

Lyka