Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
desmondchew
Creator III
Creator III

Could not connect to source endpoint running MySQL 8

Hi,

We have a source MySQL database running on version 5.7. We attempted to connect with a new task created. But hit into the following error. Please advise how to workaround?

Cannot initialize subtask
Failed while preparing stream component 'st_0_Meridian_Prod'.
Errors in MySQL server validation.
Error 1045 (Plugin caching_sha2_password could not be loaded: The specified module could not be found. Library path is 'C:/Program Files (x86)/mariadb-connector-c/lib/mariadb/plugin/caching_sha2_password.dll') connecting to MySQL server

Labels (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Dana_Baldwin
Support
Support

Hi @desmondchew 

Please modify the my.ini in a [mysqld] section like this:

#default_authentication_plugin=caching_sha2_password (comment line!)
default_authentication_plugin=mysql_native_password (new line)

Connect to your MySQL under root in a command line client and execute:

ALTER USER 'root'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED WITH mysql_native_password BY 'xxx';

Where xxx is your current password.

re: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/50169576/mysql-8-0-11-error-connect-to-caching-sha2-password-the...

Thanks,

Dana

View solution in original post

john_wang
Support
Support

Hello @desmondchew ,

Thanks for sharing the information. The mysql_native_password authentication plugin works fine in the existing MySQL major versions still (8.x, 8.1).  At least in our labs test, ODBC 8.0.32 works fine with MySQL 8.1.0 Server in our smoking tests. Qlik R&D will support the newer authentication plugins in the coming Replicate patch/versions as well.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

John.

Help users find answers! Do not forget to mark a solution that worked for you! If already marked, give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Dana_Baldwin
Support
Support

Hi @desmondchew 

Please modify the my.ini in a [mysqld] section like this:

#default_authentication_plugin=caching_sha2_password (comment line!)
default_authentication_plugin=mysql_native_password (new line)

Connect to your MySQL under root in a command line client and execute:

ALTER USER 'root'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED WITH mysql_native_password BY 'xxx';

Where xxx is your current password.

re: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/50169576/mysql-8-0-11-error-connect-to-caching-sha2-password-the...

Thanks,

Dana

desmondchew
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi Dana,

Our source MySQL is running 8.22 why is Qlik requires and older MySQL authentication method which is less secure? Our security team has concerned and refuse to allow us to workaround.

Is there any fix to this?

Thank you.
Desmond

Steve_Nguyen
Support
Support

@desmondchew 

1. is the error on the test connection or running the task?

2. on the Replicate server, what is the MySQL ODBC version?

3. have you test using Windows ODBC 64 bit and try to connect the MySQL server, does it have the issue error or success ?

Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you! If already marked, give it a thumbs up!
SwathiPulagam
Support
Support

Hi @desmondchew ,

As Dana mentioned you have to use the mysql_native_password as sha2 is not supported.

If you want to work with sha2 then please do create a feature request in ideation:

To submit Feature Requests going forward please use our Qlik Community "Product Insight and Ideas" forum as these requests will no longer be handled as technical support cases. As a Qlik Community member, you can actively engage with our Product Management team, vote on a product idea coming for other Qlik customers, submit your own ideas and get feedback from other members.

To get started please see our article: "Getting Started with Ideas": https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-Product-Insight-Blog/Getting-Started-with-Ideas/ba-p/1684011

Thanks,

Swathi

desmondchew
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi,

Please see reply in questions.

1. is the error on the test connection or running the task?

The error happens when I click on start full reload. Test connection runs fine.

Stream component 'st_0_xxxx_Prod' terminated
Cannot initialize subtask
Failed while preparing stream component 'st_0_xxxx_Prod'.
Errors in MySQL server validation.
Error 1045 (Plugin caching_sha2_password could not be loaded: The specified module could not be found. Library path is 'C:/Program Files (x86)/mariadb-connector-c/lib/mariadb/plugin/caching_sha2_password.dll') connecting to MySQL server 'xxxx'

2. on the Replicate server, what is the MySQL ODBC version?

3. have you test using Windows ODBC 64 bit and try to connect the MySQL server, does it have the issue error or success ?

No issue using MySQL to connect. I was able to launch MySQL client and connect to the DB. It's likely the way Qlik Replicate connects via ODBC and I don't understand why it uses Mariadb connector.

Desmond

desmondchew
Creator III
Creator III
Author

We are still facing the same issue. Have opened a ticket however the support doesn't have a solution yet. This is very strange as we are connecting to a MySQL running on 8.0.29. The MySQL is an upgraded version from 5.7 previously. Could it be the reason that it might not be using the latest password algorithm?

Desmond

Steve_Nguyen
Support
Support

@desmondchew  if you open a case, please work with support, to isolate issue. 

Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you! If already marked, give it a thumbs up!
desmondchew
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi Swathi,

I appreciate your guide to submit a feature request. However, I would reckon my request was not for a special needs but basic one. MySQL 8 has been out for several years. Qlik supports many newer endpoints. Most shops setup are using the newer MySQL 8 and all AWS MySQL RDS are all on MySQL 8. Today security is a top priority in most setup. We can't fall back to a lesser security one without a good justification.

I believe we should make this as a priority.

Thank you.
Desmond

desmondchew
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi,

I would like to share that the latest MySQL 8.0.31 version is depreciating the "mysql_native_password". 

• The mysql_native_password authentication plugin now is deprecated and subject to removal in a future version of MySQL. CREATE USER, ALTER USER, and SET PASSWORD operations now insert a deprecation warning into the server error log if an account attempts to authenticate using mysql_native_password as an authentication method. (Bug #35336317)

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/relnotes/mysql/8.1/en/news-8-1-0.html#mysqld-8-1-0-binlog

Does this mean we can't use 8.0.31 and above as we need to use "mysql_native_password"?

Thank you.
Desmond