Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brano
Contributor II
Contributor II

CSS in Reporting with Qlik Application Automation

Hi all,

I am moving my reporting from Nprinting to Qlik SaaS using automations. I prepared a sheet for reporting that I successfully generate a pptx with. The sheet contains multi KPI object with CSS code to remove dimension labels from pivot table, hide multi KPI object and break line of label text for button object:

---------------------------------------

[tid="meta.rows"], [tid="meta.columns"] {display:none;}

.qv-object-qlik-multi-kpi {opacity: 0% !important;}

.qv-object-content.ng-isolate-scope text span {white-space:break-spaces !important;}

---------------------------------------

CSS works in the browser on all 3 objects, however in generated pptx it is applied only to the multi KPI object itself. CSS is not applied to pivot table and button.

Could you please advise if there is a way how to apply css in automations to other objects too?

Thanks.

6 Replies
JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

The reporting blocks try to support Qlik themes if you have a theme applied in the Qlik app.  Can you do your CSS through a theme? If so, the QAA PPTX output should honor the theme.

Brano
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi Jonny, thanks for the advice. Its good to know there are some options and my case is not completely lost 🙂 However, I need the css to be applied only to sheets dedicated to reporting. Is there any workaround using some of the blocks in QAA maybe? I do not have any experience with setting up a theme for an app, is it possible to target the styling to individual sheets?

Thank you.

JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

unfortunately a theme applies to an entire app, but themes can be object type specific. This theme for example only impacted the table and pivot table object:   https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-Reporting-Service/Qlik-Cloud-Reporting-Improving-Table-Presentati.... We developed this theme to make the qlik sense tables that were formatted as images for the reports generated by QAA looked better. 

marksouzacosta
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi @Brano,

Before trying any fancy Automation to change Themes I would suggest a simpler approach.
You could split your Qlik Sense Application into three:

My Application - Data Model
This application is just about data. Does not have any UI.

My Application
This is your daily use/main dashboard application where the users do their regular use. It binary loads the My Application - Data Model.

My Application - Reporting
This application also binary loads the My Application - Data Model but this application is only for reporting purposes. You just need the report charts, and you can apply any Theme without affecting the main dashboard application.

For more information about Themes:

SenseTheme
You can use this application to customize your own theme. It is a very good start point and there is a free version.
https://sensetheme.com/

Dashboard Design - QS CSS MasterClass
https://ipc-global.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/BP/pages/14696024180/Customize+Qlik+Sense+and+Cloud+wit...

Some other cool stuff: Tricks with CSS for Qlik Sense Objects
https://github.com/ChristofSchwarz/QlikScripts/tree/master/css

Read more at Data Voyagers - datavoyagers.net
Brano
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi Mark,

thanks for the suggestion. This would indeed work and I would be able to isolate the theme for reporting only. However this approach requires to create a system how to maintain master measures and master visualizations across these apps.

I guess the standard way how to use master measures among applications is to maintain them in an excel file and load them as a variables in data load of each app and use them in measure expressions.

Keeping master visualizations in sync among apps, as I learned, is possible with Qlik Application Automation tasks.

Both add complexity to an already very complex app that I maintain and therefore I am not sure if to invest substantial development time into this approach. I was hoping for an easier solution, as you usually do 🙂

If you have an easier way how to maintain master measures and visualizations, please share.

Thanks.

marksouzacosta
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi Brano,

Unfortunately, I don't know any way to make this process of managing/sharing Master Items easier.

Read more at Data Voyagers - datavoyagers.net