Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
agigliotti
Partner - Champion
Partner - Champion

Recipient filter - how to create a dynamic filter

Hi,
I'd need to distribute an excel report to sales agents applying the correct data reduction using the sales agent code as filter.
Is it possible to create a unique filter for all sales agents in order to send the right data (filtered on sales agent code) to the right person?
Please let me know.
Many thanks in advance for your time.
Best Regards

@Ruggero_Piccoli @Andrew_Kruger @Frank_S @JonnyPoole 

Labels (3)
12 Replies
anat
Master
Master

if possible can you share some sample data and explain logic in technical way? 

agigliotti
Partner - Champion
Partner - Champion
Author

I guess it's not possible so far, the only way is to manually create a specific recipient filter for each sales agent.

Andrew_Kruger
Employee
Employee

Hey @agigliotti  - based on the description provided, I see two options:

1. Per user filters created and referenced in the DL to ensure the per use data reduction (manual filter creation at this time)

2. If all the users are Qlik Cloud users AND have (can be given) access  to the source app (even if they don't use it) - use a section access table in the load script.  At this point you won't need the DL to contain the per user filter.  The report task execution will identify

a) the app has Section Access

b) the recipient is a Qlik user

c) open the app as that user to produce the report

This results in the desired data reduction.  If your task recipient list also includes recipients who are not Qlik /Source app users you will need to create a user specific filter (in this case the app is opened as the report task owner, hence you will need a filter for any of these users).  

agigliotti
Partner - Champion
Partner - Champion
Author

Hi @Andrew_Kruger ,

The users are not Qlik Cloud users.
How is possible to create recipients filter in the DLE ?
I took a look at the "Distribution List "script, but I could not see the section regarding the filters creation.
I thought the only way to create a recipient filter was through the "Add filter" button in the Reporting->Filters UI.
Please let me know.
Best Regards

Andrew_Kruger
Employee
Employee

Yup - so your use case is external recipients - you will complete the process as you understand (and per help documentation).  

1. Create filters per user in the Reporting > Filters UI 

2. Reference those filter names in your distribution list per user (as is shown in the sample file).  

In the future we will look at a filter import capability. 

Side note - for those who are technically inclined and like to work with api's.  Public API's for reporting filters (and all tabular reporting capabilities) are making their way through the publishing process for qlik.dev. 

agigliotti
Partner - Champion
Partner - Champion
Author

The import capability or the chance to create recipient filters in DLE is needed to replace all NPrinting reports.

Andrew_Kruger
Employee
Employee

Feedback appreciated and as mentioned, it is identified as an area or maturation for the capability.  Keep the feedback coming in the forum - thank you!

Supersmurf
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Hi! @agigliotti@Andrew_Kruger, @anat ++!

I am really looking forward for a filter import feature, but as the API already have the endpoints for this we have made a working solution that functions well:

• An automation that deletes all existing filters in the app
  • Data load script that calls the automation and then use the REST-connector to create all the filters again

This way one can import both recipients and filters from the source of choice.

If you just can't wait getting Qlik Reporting Services up and running, let me know and I can share some code.

Regards

jan@tallmaker.no

JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

@Supersmurf yes please share if you don't mind.  Any code hardening bits... timeouts, retries would be helpful too.