Skip to main content
Announcements
YOUR OPINION MATTERS! Please take the Qlik Experience survey you received via email. Survey ends June 14.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

32bit system running out of steam

Hi all,

Our 32bit system (Win Server 2003 Std/4Gb RAM/Xeon 4 x 3.40Ghz CPU) is running out of steam and I need to think about an upgrade.

Are there any recommendations for hardware specifications when upgrading to 64bit (Win Server 2008) - for example to achieve the same performance (as a benchmark)?

I have done some performance tuning including reducing document time-out - does anyone know if using the /3Gb switch on the server would be taken advantage of by QVS v9sr4?

Any help appreciated.

Regards,

Gordon

6 Replies
Not applicable
Author

There is no /3Gb switch when using 64 bits.

-Alex

Not applicable
Author

I was referring to 32bit to improve performance.......

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

The issue is not " are same files on same computer work slower in 64 bits?" , is "how many days until load is too high for 32 bits?" . That is the moment when random programs die with "out of memory" = server is unreliable.

-Alex

suniljain
Master
Master

Dear Gordon,

pls check attached file. I am sure it will help you.

Regardsl

Sunil

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Sunil,

I am also trying to get a feel for what would be a reasonable specification/cost. For example, if a 64Bit system with 12Gb RAM and similar CPUs as my 32bit environment gave me the same level of performance as I currently have, then I could reasonably ask for 24Gb RAM/better processors to improve performance by a factor of 2.

So, I guess my question is 'what are the relative requirements of 64bit compared to 32bit - 2x RAM? 10x RAM? More processors?'

Regards,

Gordon

Not applicable
Author

A 64Bit system with 12Gb RAM and similar CPUs as my 32bit environment is already "bigger" than the 32 bits.

CPU wise , there is no difference . The bottleneck is memory (or lack thereof)

-Alex