Qlik Community

Ask a Question

QlikView Administration

Discussion Board for collaboration on QlikView Management.

Announcements
Our next Qlik Insider session will cover new key capabilities. Join us August 11th REGISTER TODAY
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
leenlart
Creator
Creator

CONNECT vs OLEDB CONNECT

Hi, 

We just migrated to qlikview 12.4.  In some of my tests I found some connection issues to our oracle database.  The connection issues have been resolved but I noticed that if I create a new connection statement the statement is pasted in as 

OLEDB CONNECT TO [Provider=OraOLEDB.Oracle.1;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=........

Our existing connection statements are 

CONNECT TO [Provider=OraOLEDB.Oracle.1;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=........

Is there any difference between OLEDB CONNECT and CONNECT ?  Both seem to work fine, I'm just wondering if one is better than the other ?

Thanks !

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Any prefix to the CONNECT statement can be (and should be) specified to better document what the script is doing. By default CONNECT will take a OLEDB connection, if specified ODBC, it will use ODBC instead.

The ODBC prefix is created by the QlikView script editor assistant, if it is not used, a prompt will show up requesting the server, username and password to connect to, even if CONNECT is followed by a connection string.

OLEDB is not required for the CONNECT statement to succeed if a proper connection string follows.

More on https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/April2020/Subsystems/Client/Content/QV_QlikView/Scripting/Scrip...

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Any prefix to the CONNECT statement can be (and should be) specified to better document what the script is doing. By default CONNECT will take a OLEDB connection, if specified ODBC, it will use ODBC instead.

The ODBC prefix is created by the QlikView script editor assistant, if it is not used, a prompt will show up requesting the server, username and password to connect to, even if CONNECT is followed by a connection string.

OLEDB is not required for the CONNECT statement to succeed if a proper connection string follows.

More on https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/April2020/Subsystems/Client/Content/QV_QlikView/Scripting/Scrip...

View solution in original post

leenlart
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks very much for your reply.  

And thanks for the link.  I've bookmarked the script syntax section for future reference.   😉