Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How does Qlikview know to not utilize a Named User License?

Ok, I have read numerous similar discussions on this and still cant find a crystal clear answer so I wanted to post the question differently.

I have User CALS and Document CALS.  I have users who need to access numerous documents, and thus are assigned a Named User CAL.  I also have a handful of users who ONLY need access to 1 specific document, and thus they would use a Document CAL.

I still dont understand how Qlikview has set this up within QMC and how it knows whether to assign/utilize a Named License or Document License. 

For example, I assign Bob a document CAL to document A.  I reload everything having ONLY added him under Document CALs.  He cant see anything.  Thus, based on what I've read here, i need to ALSO add him under a Named User License under "Authorization".  Ok, I do that... now Bob can access the document.  How does Qlikview know that Bob should NOT be utilizing one of my significantly more expensive Named Licenses when I am forced to have him listed under both?  And where within QMC can I actually see the # of Named Licenses that are being used?

Sorry for the long question, but I have watched 100 people ask this question 100 different ways and I still dont have a clear answer.  Common sense tells me that you should be to simply add your Named Users under "Named Users" and your Document CAL users under "Document CALs" for each document, but that does not appear to be the case and I fear that I am currently getting "double-charged" on my licenses. 

thanks for help!

James

14 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Bill and Peter,

Thank you both for your patience and thorough replies.  I got on a webex yesterday afternoon and the consultant who set this up helped me understand.  The way i worded my questions throughout this thread could have been better, i realize.  Ive always been well aware of the difference between a named CAL and document CAL, their purposes, etc... i simply didnt know where to manage them.

He showed me the area where you manually assign all of our Named licenses, and that pretty much solved the issue.  i wasnt sure where to look.  Once you assign user licenses there, you dont need to worry about Document CAL users using up one of your Named licenses because they arent even on that list.  I went back through all of our dashboards and cleaned them up, making sure that all Named users and Document Cal users were authorized (since that has nothing to do with licenses) and now I know how to clearly identify the # of Named Licenses and Document CALs we have being utilized and their last usage.

Thanks again and Im sorry for apparently over-complicating this question.  Appreciate the help

james

Marcoimp
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

James,

"He showed me the area where you manually assign all of our Named licenses"

Can you please tell me where manually can do it?

Thank you.

Marco.

M.Imperiale
Not applicable
Author

Marco,

If you go into QMC, go to SYSTEM // Licenses // select QlikView Server (at which point options on the right will appear)  // Client Access Licenses  //  Assigned CALs

From there below you can manually enter all of the folks on your network that you want to have a NAMED User License.

Document CALs are set up differently.

Hope this helps

James

Marcoimp
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Thank you James... but, I need also an explain about Document CALs, sorry can you give me a help?

Thank you..

Marco

M.Imperiale
Not applicable
Author

Documents // User Documents // Select which QV doc on the left you want to assign Document CALs to (will bring up new view on the right)  //  Document CALs

Then similarly just add peeps that you want to have a document CAL to that specific QV doc... Not sure if you have to specify the # of CALs you want allocated to the Document... i currently just manually update that number to equal however many Document CALs i have tied to a specific doc.... not sure if its mandatory to fill out though as long as you dont go over the total number of CALs you pay for....

-James