Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jelena
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

How to calculate and what is hardware configuration for QlikView test environment?

Hi all,

we want to build new server for QV TEST environment. My previous colleges had already set up PROD environment with following setup:

ram: 64gb, Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6148 CPU @2.40GHz  2.39GHz (2 processors).

The data source are csv files and it is around 20gb and all prod folder (with source ,data model etc.)is around 30gb.

I found that also disk space should be 450MB total.

I am doing this first time, to raised up the server, but I suppose that test server does not need the config as prod?

Can you please advise me, what should be hardware requirements for the new test environment?

Thank you in advance!

2 Replies
Or
MVP
MVP

There's no hard and fast rule, since it depends on how hard your test server will be working relative to the prod server. Ideally they should have the same configuration so you can get consistent behavior when you're testing, but if you'd like to save some resources:

Disk - no difference, really. You'll have the same apps and files on both servers.

CPU - if the PROD server is handling many scheduled reloads and the Test server doesn't have to, you might be able to save some CPU, but you only have two processors in the first place so I'd just stick with that.

RAM - If the test server is only likely to be handling a handful of apps / people at a time compared to the prod server, you could probably cut this down. This does also depend on the size of your individual apps. Most typically, between 1/2 and 1/4 of the PROD server might work but again this depends on assorted factors and is just a rule of thumb. If you don't assign enough RAM, this won't generally break anything, but it will cause much slower performance.

Maria_Halley
Support
Support

@jelena

As @Or is saying there are no real rules here. But the closer the specs are, the more "realistic" the tests will be, especially  in regard to performance. But again it depends on how you are planning to use it.

But the memory is very important and it can bring the whole test server (Windows Server) down if you do not assign enough.