Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jagveer
Contributor III
Contributor III

Not able to assign a document CAL

Hi,

I am trying to assign a user a document CAL on QMC. I've been doing this for past 3 years with no issues. But today, when I am assigning a new user in Document CALs, it appears in the list and the "Document CALs assigned to Users" increase. But, the moment, i hit apply the number goes back to the previous value, even though the name of the user stays in the assigned users list and the user doesn't see anything on the access point.

28 Replies
Jagveer
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Brett,

The entry does show up in the xml as shown in the attached screenshot. So, it seems we have a corrupt file. What can be done to resolve this.

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Jagveer, the only thing to do would be to recreate things, which would mean redoing all your Doc and Named CAL assignments if you did those manually.  You could at least use the xml file to know who needs to be set to what, but I do not know of any fast way to do this.  The only other option would be to see if you have a file backup of a 'good' version that you could restore and then just fix the missing items at that point, sorry I do not have anything better to offer you.  If you do a restore, just be sure you stop all QVS services in the the same environment, then swap out all copies of the files, and then restart the services and see if that does the trick.  You could try it in a Dev environment first if you do have one just to be sure it is good etc.  

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
Jagveer
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Brett,

If i remove the Doc CALs, it goes to quarantine for 7 days and i cannot use them. Just to give you context, this started happening 2 weeks ago with one of the user, when he tried to access the document on accesspoint, it would take ages to load and cause the server to use 100% memory and eventually stop responding. we figured that the issue is with the user account and we created a separate account for him to access the file and that's when this issue was found.

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Yeah, I do not have an easy solution for you I am afraid, the only thing would be to try to restore off an older version that you know was working ok and go from there, or recreate the CalData.pgo from scratch, but you will have to do all your manual assignments over again in that case, that will alleviate the quarantine issue, and it would be ok do this in your case, as it is one of the only ways to get you back up and going here.  Again, sorry I do not have anything better, the .pgo files are crucial, so you may want to be sure you are getting daily backups of those, so if something happens again, you can grab backup and restore etc.  Let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
Jagveer
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Brett,

we do have periodic backups. Which files should i restore and when you say restore,  should i just replace those files with an older version or is their any other process that i have to follow.

Jagveer
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Brett,

I have attached a screenshot of settings.ini file. Here 

NumberOfSessionCals=-1
NumberOfUsageCals=-1

UsageCalAvailable= -1

all of these are set to -1.

Is this normal or could this be an issue.

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

You are spot on, you just want to grab the backup copy of the CalData.pgo you have, and then rename the existing ones in the QVS Root Folder path as well as the local ProgramData\QlikTech\QlikViewServer folder(s), just be sure the QVS service(s) are down when you do things and paste a copy of the backup in each spot you do the rename, then restart the services and hopefully you will be working again without having to recreate everyone.  Shout if things are not clear, but hopefully makes sense.

Cheers,
Brett

Jagveer
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks a lot Brett. Finally the issue is resolved. it was the file, but funnily enough the user that was creating problem still has the server slowdown issue. We will probably have to go with the new userid for now.

Once again thanks a ton for your help.

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Thanks for the final post and mark on my other post, I marked yours as well, as that confirms exactly what you did here as well...  Hopefully things will behave for you going forward.  About the only preventive measure I could suggest is have the storage guys have a look at the storage component and be sure it is optimized for high input/output and the disk response times are around 4ms, that should ensure things go smoothly.

Regards,
Brett