Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnmart61
Contributor III
Contributor III

QlikView screen freezes in both Chrome & Edge after a few data selections

We recently upgraded from QlikView April 2019 to May 2021. Upgrade went smoothly and all QVWs run correctly - but only on Internet Explorer.

If we open a QVW through the Access point on either Chrome or Edge, the screen tends to freeze after a few data selections. If I select a few filters then maximize a chart, the app will not allow me to change any data selection. Nor can I click buttons, change charts, minimize the open chart, or do anything else except refresh the screen. Which puts me back to the beginning with nothing open or selected.

This behaviour does not happen using Internet Explorer with the IE Plugin - only if we use Chrome or Edge.

If this can be fixed by a setting, please let me know. This was not an issue in the older version of QlikView.

20 Replies
Daniele_Purrone
Support
Support

Hi @johnmart61 , can you please clarify "However, after the Excel spreadsheet has been read, saved, closed or whatever, the user is unable to return to the QlikView application."?

Is the Excel spreadsheet been worked on in a locally-installed Excel client, or within the browser (like in an online version of Office or Google Sheets)? Any chance that you could link a video or animated gif documenting the process and what goes wrong? Thanks!

Daniele - Principal Technical Support Engineer & SaaS Support Coordinator at Qlik
If a post helps to resolve your issue, please accept it as a Solution.
johnmart61
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Excel is local. QlikView is on the Web - in Chrome.

This problem has been going on since we upgraded to version 12.6.

Installing 12.6 SR2 helped but not completely.

I found yesterday that some of the export problem was caused when a QlikView tab had an On Leave Sheet trigger setting a variable. I removed all of those but the problem still occurs in some cases.

I am posting a video of the issue.

cynthb
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, just for information, have you managed to find a solution to this problem since last time ? 

johnmart61
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

As of Feb 2022, I sent a note to my QlikView users - see below:

Subject: QlikView software has been upgraded in PRODUCTION this weekend - COMPLETED

Since upgrading the QlikView software last autumn from version 12.4 to 12.6, a number of our users have reported problems using QlikView apps in Chrome. There were numerous problems with apps "freezing" after exporting reports to Excel or right-clicking in drop-down windows to search for specific values. It was generating an error in Ajax:
[cid:image001.png@01D86056.2EFFCE40]

QlikView has now been upgraded from version May 2021 Initial Release to May 2021 Service Release 1. This new patch includes a fix for the freezing previously seen in Chrome & Edge.

We strongly recommend that, this coming week, you do not use shortcuts to go directly into specific QlikView apps but go through the Accesspoint. This should pick up the latest changes and upgrades.

We still recommend using Internet Explorer for QlikView but, for those people working on their laptop screens who find that the QlikView app appears "squished" in Internet Explorer, we understand if they prefer to use Chrome or Edge to access QlikView. This should now work better than it did before.

PLEASE NOTE:
Although testing has shown that this fix is working, several people have noticed that sometimes the app still appears to "freeze". If that happens, hitting the Refresh button for the web page seems to clear the freeze without losing all the data selections.
So - not perfect yet but better than it was.

So, the upgrade from the Initial Release of QlikView May 2021 to Service Release 2 seemed to fix most of the problems. QV is still a bit flaky when used from Chrome or Edge but it is working much better than it was.

John Martin
Senior IT Analyst

Doman Building Materials Group Ltd.
Suite 1600 - 1100 Melville Street
PO Box 39
Vancouver, BC V6E 4A6
Telephone: 604-436-6644 | Internal: 506644 | Cell: 778-874-9335
john.martin@domanbm.com

www.domanbm.com<>

[Doman-signature-logo]
Albert_Candelario

Hello @johnmart61 ,

Thanks for posting.

I know there was an issue when moving columns on tables that could lead to the app freezing and this will be fixed in the next May 2022 that will be out shortly. So you might want to test the new version when is out to check if it resolves the remaining issues you have mentioned.

Cheers,

Albert

Please, remember to mark the thread as solved once getting the correct answer
schlettig
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

We have the same issue as @johnmart61 with some, but not all, of the QlikView applications. It doesn't matter if the user is using a deeplink or opens from AccessPoint. Excel export is not related in our cases.

When this is happening during a selection the java script console of edge throws this error:

Uncaught Error: cannot call methods on combobox prior to initialization; attempted to call method 'option'
QvAjax.js:353

Uncaught Error: cannot call methods on combobox prior to initialization; attempted to call method 'option'
at Function.error (QvAjax.js:353:225)
at HTMLTableCellElement.<anonymous> (QvAjax.js:515:63)
at Function.each (QvAjax.js:354:97)
at r.fn.init.each (QvAjax.js:351:85)
at r.fn.init.e.fn.<computed> [as combobox] (QvAjax.js:514:498)
at Qva.Mgr.bookmarksselect.Paint2 (QvAjax.js:1383:308)
at Qva.Mgr.bookmarksselect.Paint (QvAjax.js:1384:21)
at Qva.PageBinding.UpdateBookMarks (QvAjax.js:1012:273)
at Qva.Mgr.bookmarks.Paint (QvAjax.js:1388:325)
at Qva.PageBinding.PaintTree (QvAjax.js:1075:337)
at Qva.PageBinding.PaintTree (QvAjax.js:1076:10)
at Qva.PageBinding.Ready (QvAjax.js:1067:311)
at Qva.PageBinding.Ready (QvAjax.js:1070:454)
at XMLHttpRequest.f.onreadystatechange (QvAjax.js:1181:3)

The issue does occur once per application per session here. That means if you hit F5 after the first error it works from then on. 

Maybe that helps investigating the fix?

@Albert_Candelario  Do you have already an updated ETA for the version with the fix?

Jill_Masinde
Support
Support

@schlettig  Qv12.70.20000 is currently available on our download page https://community.qlik.com/t5/Downloads/tkb-p/Downloads

Albert_Candelario

Hello @schlettig ,

Kindly test 12.70 IR and let us know if it resolves your issue. If not maybe would be better to post a new discussion as it might be a different topic.

Cheers,

Albert

schlettig
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

thanks @Jill_Masinde  and  @Albert_Candelario  ,

i was hoping on an ETA for a patch release for 12.6. Is there anything to be expected this year?

(As 12.7 IR is a new version, we cannot install or test it easily.)

Albert_Candelario

@schlettig is the issue something you could reproduce in QV Desktop? If yes, it will be good to test QV Desktop version 12.70 IR as it will be much easier than test a full server and this way you can ensure your issue is also fixed as it might be a different one as mentioned above.

Cheers,

Albert