Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

parallel qvw reloads and processors

I swear I've seen this post before but cannot find it. What is the recommended number of parallel reloads (qv.exe) per server processor ?

I'm using powershell to loop through a list of qvd builders and reloading them with the /r switch.

Our server has 4 dual core processors. Currently, I'm limiting it to 4 simultaneous sessions of qv.exe.

Can I really run 8 ?

Any advice is appreciated.

TD

11 Replies
pablolabbe
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Alex,

Post it as an Idea, then we could vote on.

Best,

Pablo Labbe

Qlikview Consultant

www.visiongi.com.br

Not applicable
Author

Hi Tod,

I was facing task failures as we have set up more than 15 reload tasks to run parallely. So i had reach out to support to find out what is the agreeable/suggested no of parallel reloads here is the reply from support:

Hope this helps

1) How many cores do you all have installed? Because having an odd number of cores isn't something that I have experienced.
2) The rule of thumb is that the maximum limit should be number of cores - 1. The thought behind this is that you should always leave at least one core available for the operation system.
3) Keep in mind that each task uses a core. So if you haven't configured your registry to allow more than 9 cores for QlikView, then you will experience task failures when you are trying to run more than 9 tasks. But that additional task will run fine when it is not trying to run with 9 other tasks.
4) From the case description, it looks like you all are running 11.0 SR2 which was released in November 2012. Upgrading may not be possible due to your environment, but there have been quite a few releases since then with many, many bug fixes. So if it is possible, I would recommend considering upgrading to a newer service release. Additionally, this version would not be patchable should you encounter an issue that requires a patch.

Let me know about your availability and I can schedule a Webex to talk through this case with you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachment mentioned in the reply has the following content:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Version 11 Release Notes, we say Support can provide the information on how to run more engines than 9.

Version 10 Release Notes
Due to a limitation associated with using Microsoft’s COM objects we recommend that you limit the number of QlikView Engines (QlikView Enterprise Management Console>> Setup>> Distribution Services>> Advanced tab) to a maximum of 9 or the number of processor cores available on the host server, whichever is lower.

Version 11 Release Notes
Due to a limitation associated with using Microsoft’s COM objects we recommend that you limit the number of QlikView Engines (QlikView Management Console>> System>> Setup>> Distribution Services>> Advanced tab) to a maximum of 9 or the number of processor cores available on the host server -1, whichever is lower.
If you have more than 9 processor cores, and wish to run more Engines, contact Support for information regarding a registry change to the Desktop Memory Heap settings on the server.

Note: Please backup your registry before you make any changes.

Desktop memory Heap Registry change:

Change the registry setting:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\SubSystems\Windows

Change the desktop heap setting in the registry to '1024,20480,2048'

%SystemRoot%\system32\csrss.exe ObjectDirectory=\Windows
SharedSection=1024,20480,2048 Windows=On SubSystemType=Windows
ServerDll=basesrv,1 ServerDll=winsrv:UserServerDllInitialization,3
ServerDll=winsrv:ConServerDllInitialization,2 ProfileControl=Off
MaxRequestThreads=16

Default is 1024,3072,512 in x86 or 1024,20480,768 in x64

Read more on:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ntdebugging/archive/2007/07/05/desktop-heap-part-2.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/ntdebugging/archive/2007/01/04/desktop-heap-overview.aspx