Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cbushey1
Creator III
Creator III

1 table or many tables

Hi all,

I wanted to get opinions and best practices around combining tables. Specifically, I have 8 tables currently in my data model that all share the same key field. Each of these tables represents facts about the key field so I was thinking about combining them all into a single table. Doing this would mean instead of say 20M rows in each of the 8 tables, I would have 20M rows in a single table, but that table would have around 150 fields. The key field is only listed once per table in each of the 8 tables so I am not worried about inflating rows. 

Is there a point at which it makes more sense to keep these as separate tables?

Let me know what you think. 

Labels (1)
14 Replies
cbushey1
Creator III
Creator III
Author

No there is definitely more than 8 tables, however I am looking to consolidate these 8 into 1.
Unfortunately I can't share a picture.
dplr-rn
Partner - Master III
Partner - Master III

Ok. if there are multiple hops (dimensions for each of these tables) involved i would definitely recommend consolidating these 8 into 1 fact table.
cbushey1
Creator III
Creator III
Author

I am concerned that doing a join on these tables will certainly cause bottlenecks in the reload. In the past, when I have done joins on large tables (10M rows) it would take around an hour. Certainly this was before trying to order the tables but I am still concerned that it might take more time than I want to sacrifice just to get all 8 tables into 1. If a table has 5 fields then I dont mind doing the Map/ApplyMap route.

Any suggestions for combing the large tables?

dplr-rn
Partner - Master III
Partner - Master III

You are right about the bottle neck piece. The question is to find the best fit for performance for end user and reload. Unfortunately will be a bit of trial and error for you. do yo have end user performance issue currently. if not i would probably leave it alone for now.

i have had apps with 100s of millions of rows and to optimze end user performance we created a singular fact table. reload take 3-4 hrs.
on the other hand i have seen at clients apps will 100s of millions of rows a lot of synthetic keys , but still without performance issue because the server is strong
dplr-rn
Partner - Master III
Partner - Master III

Missed to add if the app is still in development; i Would run benchmarks using scalability tool to asses response times