Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bullish35
Creator II
Creator II

13 Fact Tables: Concat, join, link . . . or resign?! ;-)

Hello Community,

I spent many sleepless nights building a data model to accommodate 13 fact tables. During unit test it became clear that the associations needed were not working with the link table I drafted..So, back to the drawing board. Anyone have ideas about how to manage the data in the attached  mocked up tables?

Regards,

Ellen

Added in-progress files.

3 Replies
marcus_sommer

It would be require to dive very deeply into your tables to be able to give you concrete advices - therefore it's more generic with the main-goal to reduce the number of fact-tables and if possible to avoid any link-tables and rather to create table-associations.

For this I would concatenate such fact-tables like sales and planning - you could harmonize this by creating a table-source field like 'sales' and 'planning' and the values are within a field value - but even without them and leaving an asymmetrical table with NULL's will work fine. Maybe the coupon-table and the prescription-table could be (after a crosstable-transforming) be concatenated, too.

Other fact- and maybe also dimension-tables would I try to join or to map to these fact-table. I'm not sure if it's possible and also useful to try to get everything in one big fact-table. I mean with them that I have the impression that your datamodel might be in reality two or more datamodels and it could be sufficient to leave them as loosely coupled datamodels (maybe associated with only a date and one further key) to get your required views between them (and be cautious to match not the wrong dimensions within your charts).

- Marcus

bullish35
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thank you for your response. I am making progress! It looks like I am going to need a calendar bridge, too. Can I have a link table and a calendar bridge in the same model? Or, should I include the date field dimension in my link table?

marcus_sommer

In general you could have a calendar-bridge and a link-table but it could be that's more suitable to use several calendars and/or to match them into a canonical-calendar:

Canonical Date

Why You sometimes should Load a Master Table several times

- Marcus