Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

'Actions' processing

Hi all,

This may be of interest. I asked Support:

...and got the reply:

Actions are not carried out sequentially on buttons, they are all expanded and executed at the same time.

This is working as designed.

Regards,

Gordon

When using 'set variable' in 'actions' the new value does not get applied before the next action is performed. Running a macro instead is a work around for the problem but that rather defeats the point of actions!

6 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Dont know what heppened with the post but it should read:

This may be of interest. I asked Support:

When using 'set variable' in 'actions' the new value does not get applied before the next action is performed. Running a macro instead is a work around for the problem but that rather defeats the point of actions!

...and got the reply:

This is working as designed. Actions are not carried out sequentially on buttons, they are all expanded and executed at the same time.

Not applicable
Author

Hi all,

I am rather frustrated by 'actions' and find that they are only of any value for simple tasks. I often have a set of events that rely on the previous action being performed but end up reverting to macros instead; a typical example is changing the value of a variable and then using the result in another action but where the variable could be either the old or new value.

I have filed an enhancement request for them to be fired sequentially but how are the rest of the community dealing with them? Has anyone a workaround?

Regards,

Gordon

kji
Employee
Employee

Actually Actions are carried out sequentially, i think what is missing is an action equivalent to WaitForIdle, that is available to macros.

Not applicable
Author

Thats interesting if they are sequential Johan, even though support say otherwise. If an action doesnt run until the end of its predecessor then a simple action like setting a variable should have finished (?)

Any comments (hey Qliktech guys!)

Regards,

Gordon

hdonald
Creator
Creator

Hi Gordon,

I've also noticed this 'feature' in v9 SR5 - actions may well be started in the defined order but there is no dependency on the previous action finishing, e.g. any regular actions always seem to be completed before any action calling an external macro even if the macro is first in the list.

So, if I've added actions resetting field selections to run after a macro I find the fields have always been reset before the macro runs.

Have you had any feedback from Qliktech on your enhancement request ?

Regards,

HD

Not applicable
Author

I raised it as an enhancement request on the customer portal 13th May but no response from Qliktech 😞

I am afraid that this is typical of my experience with technical queries and why I have such a love/hate relationship with Qlikview!