Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Alternate States data in charts

Hi,

I would like to compare between  identical events which take place in different calendar periods, using alternate states.

The issue I have is with displaying the dates of each state as expressions in a pivot table.

For each state, I would like to show the relevat date and the total amount ordered.

I attach the document I'm working on.

Thanks in Advance!

Anne

21 Replies
ecolomer
Master II
Master II

The reference to Alternate State is with brackets {}

Example have total OrdAmount in State CurrentEvent

Sum({CurrentEvent} OrdAmount)

Not applicable
Author

That's not a dimension.

If you want to add the state years or dates  as  separate dimensions to the chart, it's not clear how one can do it.

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

If using alternate states is not a requirement - but the requirement is to do the comparison you described you can do that without alternate states like this:

2015-05-03 #1.PNG

Not applicable
Author

Hi Petter,

I need to treat each event  separately.

An event takes place once a year, not necessarily in the same dates, and has the same length (like a holiday).

I would like to compare 2 different years. So i thought alternate states is a good option.

But it's not clear to me how to display each date and the relevant amount for  the periods selected.

Thanks a lot!

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

So by slightly modifying the data model and the test data to reflect the new requirements - it will be possible (in an easier/more obvious way to compare two (or more years):

2015-05-03 #3.PNG

Not applicable
Author

Hi Petter,

Thanks for your tremendous help!

I have to see whether what you offer can enable me to copmare single dates: so for each day of an event,

I can compare the amount between the selected years.

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Of course you can

It is only a matter of how you want to visualize your comparison. In QlikView you have an enormous freedom to do exactly that. But it will require that you work a bit with it to discover the tremendous flexibility you have at your hand.

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

2015-05-03 #5.PNG

Not applicable
Author

Hi Petter,

It might sound funny, but the more I work with QlikView, the more confused I get.

Sometimes things are not intuitive, and if you did not happen to stumble upon a good post, you won't discover important features, or you'll realize how much you still misunderstand.

I'll go over you example, and hopefully, will understand it 🙂

Will comment later.

Thanks again for your very kind help!

petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

You are absolutely right - exactly what I feel at times too - but despite of that I strangely enough have one of the most powerful tools I have ever encountered in my long career in IT.

Good Luck ! 

I hope I didn't confuse you too much by introducing too many things at once ... it takes time to digest.