Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Assign color groups 7-12, 13-18 based on field value

Hi everyone,

I have a field, Project Name, that I am displaying in a graph and limiting to the top 20 values. Is there a way I can specify that field values beginning with "ABC..." should be assigned colors 7-12, and values beginning with "DEF..." should be assigned colors 13-18?

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

I don't think so, unless you could design a calculated expression that defined a project name sort order that would place exactly  6 project names as the first 6, exactly 6 projects that begin with ABC as the next 6 and exactly 6 projects that begin with DEF as the next 6 after that.

That seems to put a lot of constraints to be practical . 

Another perhaps better way would be to put the RGB color code as 1 or 3 attribute fields of project name in the data model...perhaps as a mapping load and then the background color could reference this field(s).

View solution in original post

4 Replies
jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

Try like this, you can specify colors to your dimension values like this

Chart Properties-> Expressions -> Click on expression -> Expand + icon -> Click on Background color -> and give expression like below

=Pick(Match(DimensionName, 'XYZ', 'ABC1',  'ABC2',  'ABC3',  'ABC4',  'ABC5', 'ABC6', 'DEF1', 'DEF2', 'DEF2'),

RGB(255, 0, 0), RGB(255, 122, 0),RGB(255, 122, 122),..................................................)

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Jagan.

JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

I don't think so, unless you could design a calculated expression that defined a project name sort order that would place exactly  6 project names as the first 6, exactly 6 projects that begin with ABC as the next 6 and exactly 6 projects that begin with DEF as the next 6 after that.

That seems to put a lot of constraints to be practical . 

Another perhaps better way would be to put the RGB color code as 1 or 3 attribute fields of project name in the data model...perhaps as a mapping load and then the background color could reference this field(s).

jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

In addition to that check this thread

http://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-6972

Hope it helps you

Regards,

Jagan.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks so much Jon. The first method would indeed be impractical, I like the second idea better. I may post a new question later on asking how to do this, if I cannot figure this out myself