Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Association and Full outer join - non key fields

Hello All,

PFB the scenario.

t1:

load * inline

[

id

];

// outer join(t1)

load * inline

[

id, time

1,   t1

1,   t2

];

-**********************************************-

The above dataset when we leave the tables as such and let them associate based on id, the count(id) is 2.

whereas when we give a join(full outer) the count(id) is being shown as 4.

So, association is not same as full outer join in this case?

Need your thots on this.

Regards,

Priya

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

You are right: Association and Outer Join is not the same.

Sometimes they are sometimes they are not. Henric Cronström has explained that on this forum I remember. He explained that associations are quite a bit more dynamic so it is not only how the data are associated in the data model but also how the selections are made that determine the results you get in the user interface. So in some cases it might even be a left join depending on the charts composition and the selections...

View solution in original post

4 Replies
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

You are right: Association and Outer Join is not the same.

Sometimes they are sometimes they are not. Henric Cronström has explained that on this forum I remember. He explained that associations are quite a bit more dynamic so it is not only how the data are associated in the data model but also how the selections are made that determine the results you get in the user interface. So in some cases it might even be a left join depending on the charts composition and the selections...

buzzy996
Master II
Master II

in roughly, Association will happen based on same field names automatically but joins(outer) will happen based on data.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the reply.

Could you please share the explanation by Henric Cronström?

Searched for it, but couldnt get the post.

Thanks!

buzzy996
Master II
Master II

hopes i'm not wrong here,the explanation is same as I SAID ABOVE