Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
upaliwije
Creator II
Creator II

Automate QVD file creation

Hi Friends,

I have created a QVD fir as per attached file. I want this file to run automatically at 8.00 am daily. Kindly help me to do the necessary changes in my QV file and share the modified file please.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kevinalvino
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

HI Upali,

Are you familiar with creating batch file using text editor or Windows Task Scheduler?

I suggest you look for it at google.

Should be easy enough to create as long you know what to do.

So, the line "C:\Program Files\QlikView\Qv.exe" /r "C:\Users\Admin\Desktop\QlikView Training Material\Test.qvw" , you just need to write it inside, for example, notepad++. After write it there, just save as the file to any name, for example : QlikViewScheduler.bat or QlikviewScheduler.cmd.

Next, you just need to open Task Scheduler ( already available in your windows by default), and create a new task. Setup the Time when it run and what to do ( which is run the bat file).

You can take a look also at Rajiv post below my discussion. He also provided valid and clear instruction to do these steps.

Thanks,

Kevin

View solution in original post

9 Replies
YoussefBelloum
Champion
Champion

Hi,

you want to launch it on a server ? which version of server you're using ?

kevinalvino
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Hi Upali,

If you have Qlikview Server Publisher, you can set the related QVW to automatically reload the file daily.

If you dont have one, think you can create like a bat or command file to run the reload.

If im not mistaken, the line is something like this :

"QV.exe file location" /r "the qvw file path"

Write the line into a notepad or other text editor and save it as *.cmd. Combine it with task scheduler and it should be working.

Thanks,

Kevin

upaliwije
Creator II
Creator II
Author

It is not run on Server. My version Qlikview 11

upaliwije
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thanks Kevin

I have no idea how it should be done. Kindly help me with an example

kevinalvino
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Hi Upali,

I dont know where you installed your QV nor do i know where you stored that Trial Balance QVW.

I'll give example for my case:

I installed my QV in default location, which is in C program data.

For the QVW, i have something called Test.qvw and it is located at:

"C:\Users\Admin\Desktop\QlikView Training Material\Test.qvw"

So you need to write:

"C:\Program Files\QlikView\Qv.exe" /r "C:\Users\Admin\Desktop\QlikView Training Material\Test.qvw"

Anyway, you can also take a look at youssef link, it also help for multiple QVW reload and also there're example available.

Thanks,

Kevin

upaliwije
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thanks Kevin

I can understand what u have said. But I am not conversant with

"Write the line into a notepad or other text editor and save it as *.cmd. Combine it with task scheduler and it should be working"

Pls also give me the link where I can see the example

Thnaks

rajivmeher
Creator
Creator

Hi Upali

As suggested by Youssef and Kevin above, you can schedule it either on Server or your machine based on how you need it.

As I understand you want to reload this model to generate your QVD files on a particular time of the the day. You can use batch files to run the model automatically. Use the steps as follows:

1. Please see the attached file, open it using any text editor and see the content inside. Please change the model location on the file as per where your QVW file is saved.

2. Save the file back after changing the location and double click on it to check if Qlikview reloads this model.

3. If this is successful, then use Task Scheduler on your machine to schedule this batch file to run based on what time you want to run it.

You can google for the steps on how to schedule a batch file on Task Scheduler.

Please get back to us if you face any difficulties or if you are not sure about the process above.

Regards

Rajiv.

kevinalvino
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

HI Upali,

Are you familiar with creating batch file using text editor or Windows Task Scheduler?

I suggest you look for it at google.

Should be easy enough to create as long you know what to do.

So, the line "C:\Program Files\QlikView\Qv.exe" /r "C:\Users\Admin\Desktop\QlikView Training Material\Test.qvw" , you just need to write it inside, for example, notepad++. After write it there, just save as the file to any name, for example : QlikViewScheduler.bat or QlikviewScheduler.cmd.

Next, you just need to open Task Scheduler ( already available in your windows by default), and create a new task. Setup the Time when it run and what to do ( which is run the bat file).

You can take a look also at Rajiv post below my discussion. He also provided valid and clear instruction to do these steps.

Thanks,

Kevin