Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Average of a Count

I want to create a chart where by I count the number of occasions an event has occurred in a given month, based on this count I want to display the average per month over a years period - does anyone know how to perform an Average of a Count

I.E,

3 events in Jan

5 events in Feb

4 events in Mar

Count would return = 12 but the I want to average this result being 4?

Ideally I would then want to show this on a chart so I got the average number of events per year for previous years i.e. 09, 10, 11, 12

And then broken down by month for 2013 and 2014 year to date - any help is welcome

6 Replies
MK_QSL
MVP
MVP

Count(events)/Count(Month)

if you provide data, would be easy to answer.

Not applicable
Author

They are only Counts though - Basically I have to count the number of events on a production line

My attempt is something like this but it is not correct:

AVG (StopType_Label) when Year = "2009

AVG - is the caluclation

StopType_Label is the the data column - but I don't think I can perform the average function when the column is text, but I can count the number of occurrences

Year = another column of data

2009 - a piece of data that should be in the year column

MK_QSL
MVP
MVP

Provide sample data along with your requirements. Would love to help you in this problem.

Not applicable
Author

So I need to record a count per month, but then plot on a graph with averages for previous years, the current average per month for the year to date as well as targets.

Is this possible?Qlikview Data Samples.PNG.png

Qlikview Report.PNG.png

Not applicable
Author

you could use rangesum etc with a variable to dictate which view you would like i.e. 1 month or a year

Not applicable
Author

Hi Felim,

Thanks for the reply, I am a newbie to this - could you provide al little more detail.

It's getting the correct syntax etc... that I am struggling with