Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chris_johnson
Creator III
Creator III

Basic vbScript help

Hi,

Trying to do something simple (or so I thought) but not working and possibly going to send me over the edge....

I'm trying to write a line out to a text file but both looking at the example in the API Guide and in the few forum posts here I still can't get anything to output.

Here's what I'm doing:

sub CreateTextOutput

set v = ActiveDocument.Variables("vFullPath")

vLocalPath = v.GetContent.String

Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

Set objFile = objFSO.CreateTextFile(vLocalPath, true)

'Export Header Line and spacing line

set FileStream = objFile.OpenAsTextStream(8)

FileStream.WriteLine vLocalPath

FileStream.WriteBlankLines 1

FileStream.Close

objFile.Close

end sub

where vFullPath is set to a file location on my local hard drive.

The result is that I get the file created in the location but with nothing in the file itself.

Anyone see what I'm doing wrong?

Chris

3 Replies
tom_tierney
Contributor
Contributor

Not quite sure I understand what you are trying to do but the following macro will simply create and write to a text file.

You can set the vFullPath variable in the Document QV script or from Document > Settimgs > Vaiable Overview.

Npte the vFullPath needs the directory and file name. e.g. c:\temp\myfile.txt

sub CreateTextOutput

set v = ActiveDocument.Variables("vFullPath")

vLocalPath = v.GetContent.String

set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

set FileStream = objFSO.OpenTextFile(vLocalPath, 2, true) 'Change 2 to 8 for append

FileStream.WriteLine("xxxx")

FileStream.Close()

end sub

jeremy_fourman
Creator
Creator

Haven't used vbscript in awhile but do you need to specify an append mode? Would the last WriteBlankLines be overwriting the vLocalPath line already added. Just a guess.

FileStream.WriteLine vLocalPath

FileStream.WriteBlankLines 1

chris_johnson
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi both,

Yes Tom, you are correct in so far as I'm just trying to write a line out to a text file. In the end I'm trying to create a text file with a header row, a blank line and then the contents of a straight table. The file is for importing into a seperate system (Hyperion).

I ended up getting somewhere this morning by not using the File Stream object at all and just doing a file.writeline.

Jeremy, you are correct in what you are saying too in that I will write a line out to a file and then use an append function to add chart data to it. I tried to use chart.AppendExport but ended up getting html out instead of the data itself which was a bit confusing; especially since I used the chart.Export function previously to test out the result and got all of the data out as I wanted it.

Going to keep plugging away at it, using macros is proving to be a bit of a nightmare though.

Thanks,

Chris