Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fredericvillemi
Creator III
Creator III

Best way to have Date fields ?

Hi,

i'm trying to find the best way to have fast and useful date fields.

My script contains only one SQL query which take 88 fields for 500 000 lines

SQL SELECT ID,

USERID,

SITEID,

... (84 other fields)

CREATION_DATE;

The Creation_date is in a date format but i would like to make listboxes and dimensions with this date in several other forms : week / month / day / quarter

What is the best way to do that ?

1 - adding conversion in the query : to_char(CREATION_DATE, 'yyyy/mm') as month

It will be really fast in Qlikview but will need 500000*7 chars of network transfer to get the data from database. If we think that there are several dates in my query and i want 4 conversions for each one, it will make a longer and bigger query transfer.

2 - adding calculated fields in Qlikview : really slow. I have tried to make a listbox with year(CREATION_DATE) and it's really really slow. I can't keep that solution.

3 - is it possible to add in the script the creation of a qlikview "table" in which i would declare for each ID the different conversion of CREATION_DATE. This way, Qlikview would only calculate all conversion once at script reloading and it would be really fast without too much network.

Can i make solution 3 and how ?  or do you have any faster solution ?

Thanks

12 Replies
Not applicable

This doesnt work if hte SQL field attributes are timestamp

Not applicable

On what RDMS?  On Microsoft SQL, the TIMESTAMP data type is not actually a date.

Not applicable

Hi Jon... it is Remedy Database. I know the Timestamp isnt a date field which is what is causing me heart ache. If I could get it converted in script to a date format I would be doing great.

This is the exact line from the Select statement

PBI."Submit Date",