Skip to main content
Announcements
See why Qlik is a Leader in the 2024 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Analytics & BI Platforms. Download Now
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Button > Action > start vbs-script with parameter

I have a vbs-script which I want to start with a button in QlikView. This is working fine, but now I want to add some Parameter to the script.

In Windows-Shell I can start the script like this

script.vbs Para1 Para2

But how can I add the parameters to QlikView? It is possible to get the parameter in QV from a getfieldselection oder variable?

I tried Parameters but I get an errormessage.

Thank you.

28.07.jpg

9 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Consider using your vbscript in Edit Module as a macro, and your button action will be "Run Macro".  A variable can be used as parameter in this case.

Regards,

Michael

Lee_Matthews
Former Employee
Former Employee

I had to do something similar a while back. Variables cannot be passed in the code from the button. But you can use a preceding action to assign a value to a variable, and then reference the values in variables from within your VB script. As an example, the code below gets the string value from a variable named vObjectID and then strips out the double quotes.

sTableID = ActiveDocument.GetVariable("vObjectID").GetContent.String

sTableID = replace(sTableID, """", "")
Not applicable
Author

Thanks, I will try it this week and tell you how it works.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Lee,

I see the reason of the confusion.  I didn't mean "using parameter in the button".  I meant use a variable as parameter in the macro.  The value of the variable can be set manually in an input box.

If the value of the variable can be set automatically based on some conditions - it can be set in the macro itself instead of an additional action, meaning that parameter not needed at all.

Regards,

Michael

Lee_Matthews
Former Employee
Former Employee

Thanks Michael

That’s a good point, there are many ways that the value of the variables could be set. The macro could also reference values from the current field selections.

Not applicable
Author

I did not thought of qlikview macro, this is a very good idea.

But I get another errormessage when I use the same script in QV (type VBScript, System Access, Allow System Access)

Set Para = wscript.Arguments

QV tells me  'Objekt erforderlich: 'wscript'' (means Object needed: 'wscript') But I think I need this for my parameters

dim Servername

Servername = Para(0)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I think you need to set Module Security to System Access, and Corrent Local Security to Allow System Access - they are in the bottom left part of the window.

Not applicable
Author

thanks, but I did -

(type VBScript, System Access, Allow System Access)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Sorry, wasn't careful 😞

Are you using "option explicit"?  If yes, make sure you have "dim wscript".

Also, maybe you don't need "set" here, just

Para = wscript.Arguments

(Just a wild guess, can't tell for sure without seeing the whole picture.  And I'm not a VBScript expert.)

I often use msgbox-es in the macro script to debug, helps to see what is going on.