Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

COUNT expression help

Hello,

Does Count() include NULLS? If no I have the following problem.

I want to Count all my clients where the total portfolio is <>0 for a selected YearMonth. I've used the following expression

IF(Sum ({$<[YearMonth] = {$(SelectedYearMonth)}>} Value) <> 0, COUNT(DISTINCT(Client)), NULL() )

To test I've created a chart with dimension 'Client' and the expression above to count. So the Count column displays '1' or '-' per client depending on the result of the expression.

My problem is that the Total Count seems to be including the '-' in Total so it is essentially giving me a SUM of the number of rows. I've used 'Expression Total' in the Total Mode.

Is there a way to ignore the NULL in when using COUNT?

All help is appreciated

G

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Count does not include nulls. Your problem is that you're counting Clients, and this does not take into account your sum expression. You need to use advanced aggregation for this (aggr). I'm assuming you know your set analysis is correct, so here is what the aggr would look like:

sum(
aggr(nodistinct
if(sum({<[Year Month]={$(SelectedYearMonth)}>} Value) <>0,1)
,Client
)
)

The aggr essentially creates flags of 1 for each client where sum(value)<>0 and the outer sum adds the total of these flags.

Cheers,

View solution in original post

2 Replies
vgutkovsky
Master II
Master II

Count does not include nulls. Your problem is that you're counting Clients, and this does not take into account your sum expression. You need to use advanced aggregation for this (aggr). I'm assuming you know your set analysis is correct, so here is what the aggr would look like:

sum(
aggr(nodistinct
if(sum({<[Year Month]={$(SelectedYearMonth)}>} Value) <>0,1)
,Client
)
)

The aggr essentially creates flags of 1 for each client where sum(value)<>0 and the outer sum adds the total of these flags.

Cheers,

Not applicable
Author

Thank you for the code and explanation Vlad, you've helped a great deal!

G