Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Calculated dimensions

Hi,

I apologize if this is a really basic question. I am scheduled to go to Designer training next month.

I need to create a chart that shows sales rep activity based on certain transactions, not all transactions. I think what I need to do is created a calculated dimension. When creating a chart, in the dimensions window I've selected sales rep. I also need to restrict the transaction field to certain values. This is where I'm stuck and I'm not sure of the syntax. I need the transaction_id field to be restricted to the following values:

BOOK_WIRE_1LINK

WIRE_DOMESTIC_1LINK

WIRE_INTERNATIONAL_1LINK

ADVANCE_1LINK

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Shannon

7 Replies
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

Is the transaction_id also a dimension? If so, the calculated dimension would look like this:

if(match(transaction_id,'BOOK_WIRE_1LINK', 'WIRE_DOMESTIC_1LINK', 'WIRE_INTERNATIONAL_1LINK', 'ADVANCE_1LINK'),transaction_id)

However, I suspect the performance wouldn't be very good. Also, you might not have transaction_id as a dimension. Either way, I would instead handle it with set analysis in the expressions. For instance, if you had this expression in the chart:

sum(Amount)

You would change it to this:

sum({<transaction_id*={'BOOK_WIRE_1LINK', 'WIRE_DOMESTIC_1LINK', 'WIRE_INTERNATIONAL_1LINK', 'ADVANCE_1LINK'}>} Amount)

That should be very efficient.

Not applicable
Author

Transaction ID is a dimension. The 2 dimensions are sales rep and transaction ID. The measure is the transaction count. I'm going to try your first approach and see if it gets me what I need.

Thanks,

Shannon

Not applicable
Author

More on this:

What I'm trying to do is something like:

If TRANSACTION_ID IN ''BOOK_WIRE_1LINK', 'WIRE_DOMESTIC_1LINK', 'WIRE_INTERNATIONAL_1LINK', 'ADVANCE_1LINK' then SUM(TXN_COUNT) else 0

I think I need to go to Chart Properties -> Expressions and edit the expression but I'm not sure of the syntax.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Shannon

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

Yes, edit the expression. This should work:

if(match(TRANSACTION_ID, 'BOOK_WIRE_1LINK', 'WIRE_DOMESTIC_1LINK', 'WIRE_INTERNATIONAL_1LINK', 'ADVANCE_1LINK'), sum(TXN_COUNT), 0)

Not applicable
Author

I edited the expression and pasted in

if(match(SYS_ID, 'BOOK_WIRE_1LINK', 'WIRE_DOMESTIC_1LINK', 'WIRE_INTERNATIONAL_1LINK', 'ADVANCE_1LINK'), sum(TXN_COUNT), 0)

and my bar chart went from displaying data to saying 'No data to display' although I know that there is data there. Instead of TRANSACTION_ID its actually SYS_ID.

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

OK, now we're back to my earlier question - is that field (SYS_ID now) a dimension in the table?

I'm going to guess that the answer is now "no" intead of the previous "yes". If so, then you can have more than one SYS_ID per line of your chart, which will be treated as null in the comparison, so you'll get 0, so all rows will be suppressed, so I can see it saying "no data to display" though I'm not certain that's the problem.

I suggest trying the expression I gave earlier, with minor modifications to use your real field names:

sum({<SYS_ID*={'BOOK_WIRE_1LINK', 'WIRE_DOMESTIC_1LINK', 'WIRE_INTERNATIONAL_1LINK', 'ADVANCE_1LINK'}>} TXN_COUNT)

Not applicable
Author

SYS_ID is not a dimension. The sum of the TXN_COUNT related to the SYS_IDs I am trying to restrict is what I am trying to measure. The chart will not be displaying each value for SYS_ID. The only dimension is SALES_REP with the measure (Y axis) being the sum of the TXN_COUNT for each SALES_REP.

I'll try what you've posted and confirm that the numbers are correct.

Thanks,

Shannon