Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Calculating the time lapsed between alternative entries for the same field

Hi - I have two fields. The first being Status which can be "open" or "closed" and the second being Date. Where a entry has both an open and a closed date I would like to calculate the time lapsed between the two. Any answers gratefully received.

Many thanks

Rhys

6 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Rhys,

Are both dates (open and closed date) in the same row? If not, you may do a two step load, the first from the data source the second RESIDENT ORDER BY number of unique key, then use the Previous() and Peek() functions to get the corresponding date for the open (or close) value and calculate the interval.

Probably easier, you can also do a mapping load of the key field and the close date when the status is Open, then substract the result of the ApplyMap() function from the Closed date field when the status is Closed.

Hope that helps.

Miguel

magavi_framsteg
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

LOAD

EntryID

,Status

,Date

,if (peek('EntryID') = EntryID AND peek('Status') <> Status, (Date - peek('Date')), null()) as TimeLapse

ORDER BY

EntryID ASC

,Status DESC

;

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Magnus Åvitsland

BI Consultant

Framsteg Business Intelligence Corp.

Not applicable
Author

Hi thanks for both of these it maybe I'm inputting the script wrong but I can't make them work.

The data is structured as

Fee Earner     Description     Status     Date

x                    1                    Open     dd-mon-yy

x                    1                    Closed     dd-mon-yy

y                    1                    Open     dd-mon-yy etc

I want to work out the time elapsed between the open and closed date?

magavi_framsteg
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi again.

Yes, you should be able to run the code with a bit of changes.

LOAD

[Fee Earner]

,Status

,Date(Date) as Date

,if (peek('[Fee Earner]') = [Fee Earner] AND peek('Status') <> Status, num(Date) - num(peek('Date')), null()) as DaysBetweenDates

ORDER BY

[Fee Earner] ASC

,Status DESC

;

Kind regards

Magnus Åvitsland

BI Consultant

Not applicable
Author

Hi Magnus this doesn't appear to work.

The link is the description field which is free text. There is only ever a maximum of two identical entries, under status these are closed or open. The date field is the only time element.

magavi_framsteg
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi.

What I suggested is sort of pseudo code to show the concept of peek.

The proposed solution checks previous row on each row and checks (with peek) if it's the same "key" and if status has changed since previous row.

Another way is like Miguel proposed;

First load closed status orders as tabClosed. Then when you load opened status orders you can check against tabClosed, if match then calculate the time.

Or join them so you have two dates for keys that have both statuses.

I'm sorry for the lack of examples, I'm on the subway and I hope you got a kick in the right direction, there's always so many ways of getting across a river

Kind regards

Magnus Åvitsland

BI Consultant