Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Can Actions For Navigation Be Attached To Keystrokes in QlikView

Hi,

I've been asked if I can add some short-cut key functionality to some QlikView apps, and as far as I am aware it can't be done.  However, I was wondering if anyone out there has any smart ideas as to how it could be achieved.  The user is finding it slow and cumbersome to take their hand off of the keyboard to use their mouse to change tab and move to different objects on the page.  They are used to a system where all input is done via keyboard and navigation is by using the Tab key.  Being able to trigger an Action on a keypress (which could then do navigation, selections, or anything else) would be ideal.

The closest I have been able to do so far is to create bookmarks with no selections included whilst on each of the tabs in the app.  In IE plugin the standard Bookmark functionality allows the Ctrl+1 key to take the user to the first tab, Ctrl+2 to the second etc..   This is part way towards what we want, but is still limited.

Does anyone else have any smart ideas how this could be implemented?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
phreesia_qv
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

F6 and F7 move forward-backward sheets in the desktop client.. not sure about the thin clients..

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Not applicable

Through VB code its possible

Gysbert_Wassenaar

It's been a while since I messed about with things like this. But I reckon something like AutoIt or AutoHotkey might do the trick. The idea is to create a macro/script for each navigation action (the series of key strokes, mouse movements and/or mouse clicks) and then assign the macro/script to a hotkey. But to be honest I don't know if the Qlikview UI Controls can be identified correctly so mouse and key events can be send to them.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Author

Do you mean with a standard QV macro, or some other script?

Do you have an example?

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Author

So, this would need to be installed on the end users machine, and on a specified keystroke it would move the mouse to a specified location and then send a left click event?  Do you think it could pick up on objects within a window - or would it have to be an absolute position?  For example, would it still work if the browser was in a window rather than maximised?

I am certainly going to try and talk them out of this - but I said I would look into it...

Thanks for your input.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Yeah, it would need to be installed on the end users machines. I just tried both and they do not pick up objects within the Qlikview window so you'd need the absolute coordinates of where to click. All in all it looks very impractical.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
phreesia_qv
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

F6 and F7 move forward-backward sheets in the desktop client.. not sure about the thin clients..

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Author

At least we can go back with a solution that they may want to try.  I think I can guess what the user will say when presented with that as a solution.  I suspect they will then work out exactly where their mouse is situated!

Thanks,

Steve

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Author

Hi Tammy,

Thanks for the top tip.  This does not work in the Full Browser version, as the browser intercepts the keystrokes, but in the IE plugin it goes to previous and next tabs fine.  As it happens, this client prefers to use the IE plugin anyway (because of performance of rendering the page) so this is a good part way solution.

I notice that in the IE plugin you can also tab (and shift tab) between objects on the screen, and obviously when you arrive on a list box you can just start typing to search.  I've not yet found a way to open a multi-box drop down (and I use a lot of multi-boxes in my UI design) but it is possible that there is a key for that also.

Thanks again,

Steve