Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MalcolmCICWF
Creator III
Creator III

Can it be done???

I had this random idea the other day when one of the companies qvds finished loading but encountered a problem causing only half the records to load. The job did not fail and I knew nothing about it until I tried to call upon that qvd for some data.

My question is, can you create a qvd that would check the record total loaded in another qvd, then check that against the last day or 2 for a percentage/volume drop, and then alert you somehow? It seems that sometimes the load of a qvd does not work and yet you dont notice for some time. I just want some sort of early detection system. Ideas?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
erichshiino
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

When you don't use SET or LET and just try to create a variable, LET is the default. So, it should work anyway.

I tried some diferente values, and I found that if the the argument of QVDNoOfRecords () is a qvd that doesn't exist, the variable is not created. So, in the case, I would use the funcion in the if again instead of trying to use the variable.

So, in line 16, let the variable as it is.

In line 25, change the if to call the function:

if QVDnoOfRecords ( ' ... etc ....' ) > 0 then ....

Regards,

Erich

View solution in original post

16 Replies
erichshiino
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Hi,

This is very interesting! I hope more people will post in this thread.

If you are using incremental reloads, you could leave all the store commands to the end, so if there is an error in the reload. This way, you wouldn't have some qvds updates and the others left behind in case of an error.

You could also use some script functions to read the number of rows in your load and store this number in a QVD.

After this, you could use a qvw to analyse the evolution of your reloads or you could create some controls within the script to read this QVD back and maybe interrupt the script in case your new reload has strange results compared to the past.

I attached a QVW that store the number of rows in a QVD with the timestamp of the reload

Just reload it a couple of times to see the results

Best Regards,

Erich Shiino

MalcolmCICWF
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thank you, I like the suggestions, I will try to incorporate them soon and see how they work.

MalcolmCICWF
Creator III
Creator III
Author

I will be honest, I do not understand the majority of the first half of this code and what it is doing. How do I adjust to pull my own QVD counts in and multiple if need be? I messed around with it a bit but with now luck. Will it require commenting out Size qvd referenced until it is created with some data?

erichshiino
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Hi,

I'm sorry the first half was confusing.

It can be generated automatically by QV.

In the script editor, hold Ctrl and press Q twice quickly ( Ctrl+Q+Q). This will generate that code. It's intereting to use it as an example because it generates different data everytime you run it.

The real important part of the code is this (I commented to explain the steps:

noOfRecords = NoOfRows('Transactions') ; //get the number of rows from table Transactions

reloadTime = now(1);  //Store the current timestamp on a variable

//It will store the variables above in a table (It generates a single line)

Size:

Load 'Transaction' as Table, //Store the name of the table you are analyzing - this way you can store multiple tables

'$(reloadTime)' as reloadTime,

'$(noOfRecords)'  as noOfRecords

AutoGenerate (1);

if QvdNoOfRecords('Size.qvd') > 0 then // This checks if the QVD already exists ( if it exists there is at least one line ther)

//If it exists, load it! Since the field names are the same, it will be concatenated with table 'Size' above

LOAD Table,

reloadTime,

noOfRecords

FROM

Size.qvd

(qvd);

end if

//Now that the table size was created (or concatenated), store it back!

STORE Size into Size.qvd;

So, with this, you can keep track of multiple tables, and the file size.qvd doesn't need to exists the first time you run it.

This piece of script will just keep track of the volumes, after this you still need to implement some controls depending on the type of errors you experienced.

Hope it makes more sense.

Regards,

Erich

Not applicable

As far as I know, there is menu in QV personal edition in Tools Menu, that you can put some alert.

Which you can set for the onpostreload event, or the others event.

So when the reload successful it will send an email to yours email address.

MalcolmCICWF
Creator III
Creator III
Author

So I am trying to incorporate a QVD we currently load, I do not however want to overwrite anything on this QVD and I fear I will do that. Below is what I was trying to run, but I keep getting the message that QVD_BFRAME_ATTEMPTS does not exist. Can you help me figure out what I need to change around to load the record count of our Bframe Attempts QVD?

Capture.JPG

erichshiino
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Hi, Can you share the rest of your script? It would be easier to help you

I'm not sure if the QVD_BFRAME_ATTEMPTS is your QVD with data so it might be overwritting it with the script.

you probably need to change the line

noOfRecord = NoOfRows('Transactions') to point it to the table you need to track;

noOfRecord = NoOfRows('YourTableHere')

Inside the if, the code would be:

Load QVD_BFRAME_ATTEMPTS, reloadTime, noOfRecords

Regards,

Erich

MalcolmCICWF
Creator III
Creator III
Author

The rest of the code is what you provided before hand that I did not understand. Bframe Attempts is MY QVD that I want to track the number of records of. The Code I provided was the lower half of your code with my attempted adjustments to track my QVD records. I am just not sure I am placing my QVD in the correct spots so that it records records but does not overwrite the QVD's data.

I appoligize for not explaining better.

MalcolmCICWF
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Here is the full code I have copied from your earlier reply and I modified it to try and incorporate my QVD. I reload and I get a table name, the load date, but no volume, what am I doing wrong?

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG