Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Can we apply data level security in QVD

Hi Experts,

I know about section access in QVW , do we have something similar in QVD.

I want when some user uses QVDs only data they are given access can be fetched or seen.

Please let me know if this is possible or can I have some work around.

Is there some new security added in QlikView version 12 ?

Regards,

Abhishek Bhattacharya

7 Replies
oknotsen
Master III
Master III

There is no security on QVDs. This would require decrypting and that would not help with the intention of QVD use: Speed.

But the solution is easy: Just store those QVDs on a folder that is not accessible by anyone outside of the server and QlikView administrators.

If you want to limit the data some users see in a QVW, use Section Access.

May you live in interesting times!
Mark_Little
Luminary
Luminary

HI,

Onno, beat me to it.

The only way i could think would be to only load the relevant data for the groups in to QVDs, i.e.

Load

From table

Where dept = 01;

Store .....

Having different file locations for the different qvds and applying the right permissions to the folders. A lot of work though.

Mark

avinashelite

Agreeed with okg‌, either you need to do the encryption or you need to go with the folder security option

Not applicable
Author

Thanks a lot Onno ,

I checked this in other places too, also do we have any official Qlik link saying the same , as I need to confirm this to my client.

Also what do you mean by 'decrypting ' , and how can we do it in QlikView can you please explain this.

Regards,

Abhishek

Not applicable
Author

Hi Avinash ,

Can you please explain or elaborate how to do encryption in QVD file.

Many thanks in advance.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

There are no standard features or settings to do this. You'll have to program your own solution in either VBS macros (to be used in the load script) or in the Load script itself.

Both encrypting and decrypting QVD data will be a slow and difficult process due to the fact that QVDs usually contain considerable amounts of data.

A headless QVW may offer you more options to shield data from prying eyes.

Not applicable
Author

Hi All,

Was not able to find any solution to implement authorization in QVD, unfortunately I have to keep the dedicated reduced QVDs according to each user authorization, fortunately the no. of users are less and hence this was possible.