Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Categorise based on multiple criteria (newbie q)

Hi

I'm having trouble with something that ought to be quite simple. I want to categorise some products based on a major_id and a minor_id. These three items become dimensions in a pivot table. Sometimes the category is based on just looking at the major_id but for some of the categories I also need to consider the minor_id. Its like the table would look like:

ProductCategory:

LOAD * INLINE [

major_id, minor_id, "Product Group",

120, 30, "Shoes",

120, 51, "Trainers",

115, *, "Socks",

188, *, "Hats"

];

And the products like:

Products:

LOAD name, major_id, minor_id

SQL Select * FROM Products

Obviously this doesnt work with the wildcards in there but its the kind of thing I need. Where I specify both criteria it should use them, where I dont it should only use one. Ids are numeric not text so I cant use the wildcard matching in the cookbook.

The number of minor_ids under major_id 115 can be in the hundreds and can be added to quite often so I dont want my inline ProductCategory table to be 'hard coded' with every combination for a category.

The criteria for a category is also going to be extended to other attributes too which would make the table even larger. Its almost like my mapping table is really a 'rules' table. and this is where I am stumped.

Can anyone help with this?

Ian

0 Replies