Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Changing original field value

Hi All

I need to implement the following thing:

lets say I have a table called activities and it's look like this in qv (an hierarchy table):

Activity IDActivity nameactivity resultactivity containing session idcontaining session name
1FPsuccessnullnull
2Ferror1FP
3RSuccess1FP
4RPErrornullnull
5LPErrorNUllnull
6Wisuccess5LP
7LPerrornullnull

I want to change the "activity result" field to display the activity result of his "mandatory" child. example:

Activity ID 1 has 'success' activity result. it's child (activity id 2) has activity result 'error'. I want to change the activity id 1 result to be also 'error' like it's child. Activity ID 1 has more then one child, so I have another table with the "critical" child, the one that should affect his parent.

this is the table (inline):

Session namecritical child
FPF
RPR
LPWi

if the session name doesn't have children, the original result will stay the same.

the final table should look like this:

Activity IDActivity nameactivity resultactivity containing session idcontaining session name
1FPerrornullnull
2Ferror1FP
3RSuccess1FP
4RPErrornullnull
5LPsuccessNUllnull
6Wisuccess5LP
7LPerrornullnull

Can someone please advise?

I hope I was clear enough. Thank you all!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Got time for this while running a long reload...

I changed definition of parent and child, including activity and activity containing session id respectively in each mapping.  See attached.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Try this:

First, when you load the first table, take care about the capitalization to make your life easier.  That is, for example
lower("activity result") as "activity result"
to conver 'Success' to 'success' and 'Errror' to 'error'.
Next, create two maps:

Parent2ChildMap:
MAPPING LOAD DISTINCT
"Session name",
"critical child"
RESIDENT ParentChildMap;  // I just inventing the table name here

Child2ResultMap:
MAPPING LOAD DISTINCT
"Activity name",
"activity result"
RESIDENT Data   // where "Data" is the name of the original table
WHERE match("Activity name", 'F','R','Wi');

So, the result will be

Result:
NOCONCATENATE
LOAD
if("activity result"='success', applymap('Child2ResultMap',applymap('Parent2ChildMap', "Activity name")), 'error') as "activity result",
RESIDENT Data;

DROP TABLE Data;

Hope it helps.

Not applicable
Author

Perfect solution. This should work.

Not applicable
Author

it works! thank you so much!!!

Not applicable
Author

Michael Solomovich

Hi,

Thanks for answering. I have a small issue with the solution. the problem is that the "Activity ID" is the unique identifier of each row. in the solution above, the result of one activity will affect all others activities with the same activity name.

I'll really appreciate if you take a look at the attached test file

thank you so much!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

First, replace the code with applymaps with this one:

if(match(Activitiy_name,'FP','RP','LP'), ApplyMap('Child2ResultMap',applymap('Parent2ChildMap',Activitiy_name)), Activitiy_result) as Activitiy_result,

Second, from your data looks like parent-child relation is not as straightforward as it looked initially. 
So, it is not a small problem.  How do you know what child belong to what parent?

PS: I'm very busy these days, so my replies could take time...

Not applicable
Author

Hi

Thanks for answering, sorry I wasn't clear enough!

the "activity containing session id" is the field that represent the parent of each row. lets say Activity ID 2 has "containing session id"=1, and also "Activity ID" 3 has "containing session id"=1 so both are the children of Activity ID 1. but according to Parent2ChildMap the mandatory child of Activity ID 1 ("FP") is "F" so only Activity ID 2 is the relevant child the should affect Activity ID 1 result.

Hope now I was clear.

thank you

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Got time for this while running a long reload...

I changed definition of parent and child, including activity and activity containing session id respectively in each mapping.  See attached.

Not applicable
Author

Michael Solomovich

WOW!!! absolutely amazing! perfectly works! thank you so much!