Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Clear RAM of old variables?

Hi,

in many of my apps, there are quite a number of variables.

The troublesome point about that is, many of those variables are not up to date anymore. They were being used in the past, but they are obsolete now and new ones have taken their place.

I have just tried out just closing and reopening the app, but that doesn't automatically flush the old variables.

=> How can I clear memory of old variables, same as I can clear it of old tables before I start actually loading an app?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

3 Replies
marcus_sommer

Hi DataNibbler,

you could these variables only manually delete within the variable-editor then a script-solution like var = null(); didn't removed these variables from the editor-window if they are already existing there.

- Marcus

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

If you're sure that these variables are not set or manipulated anymore in your script code, use Settings->Variable overview in each document to clear them out.

Or create a big text file with statements like this:

:

LET vObsoleteVariable=;

:

for every variable that must be deleted. Include the text (script) file at least once in every reload of your documents. Deleteing non-existent variables won't cause any errors. Note that this trick will only work for variables created in your script code.

BTW you can use Rob's Document Analyzer to export a list of variables from every document.

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi both of you,

thank you!

I see it's still some manual effort to clear them out - one more thing I should have become accustomed to doing right from the start 😉 - but ok. I will start doing that as of now.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler