Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Collation

Hi,

I have a small problem with a search settings in qlikview. I have special character like š,č,ė. For example if i search for a company that starts with the special character like Šilima in my search i have to type šiluma then the search would return the required result.

What i want to do is to type siluma and so that search result found that company name that actual name is Šiluma.

This typicaly can be done by changind database cillation in sql query OLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AI but if i enter this string in sql query in qlikview i get the syntax error.

Can anybody help with it or maybe there is a different wau how qlikview handles Latin and utf characters?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

If you change the collation on the DB or on the ODBC connection, you might change the load order, but you will not change the QlikView behaviour.

To change the QlikView behaviour, you need to change your locale:

Control Panel -> Region and Language -> Format.

Note: changing the location on the location tab is not enough. Then you need to close QlikView, restart it and run the script.

When I do this on my computer I get the following result (which I believe is correct):

Lithuanian.png

Swedish.png

(The pictures are manipulated to show two different selection states). Note different sort orders and different search results. The reason is that the two different collations treat 'a' and 's' differently. In Lithuanian (according to windows collation) s and š should be treated as different letters. You have the same situation with the Swedish a,å,ä (different letters) and the opposite with the Swedish v,w (considered to be the same letter). So, it seems to me as if you don't want to use the Lithuanian collation. Try US collation instead.

HIC

View solution in original post

4 Replies
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

QlikView uses the regional settings of the computer to determine collation order and character matches, e.g. whether s should match š.

HIC

Not applicable
Author

I have tried setting the non unicode and the correct regional setings on my laptop. Then opened a report from qlikview server but the outcome is still the same. I don't think it is with regional settings related. If i could change the data collation on loading data from sql server(like i do with most desktops apps biult on .net) this would be the clue. This has to be something different.

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

If you change the collation on the DB or on the ODBC connection, you might change the load order, but you will not change the QlikView behaviour.

To change the QlikView behaviour, you need to change your locale:

Control Panel -> Region and Language -> Format.

Note: changing the location on the location tab is not enough. Then you need to close QlikView, restart it and run the script.

When I do this on my computer I get the following result (which I believe is correct):

Lithuanian.png

Swedish.png

(The pictures are manipulated to show two different selection states). Note different sort orders and different search results. The reason is that the two different collations treat 'a' and 's' differently. In Lithuanian (according to windows collation) s and š should be treated as different letters. You have the same situation with the Swedish a,å,ä (different letters) and the opposite with the Swedish v,w (considered to be the same letter). So, it seems to me as if you don't want to use the Lithuanian collation. Try US collation instead.

HIC

Not applicable
Author

Hi thank you i achieved the results at least on my PC as i have expected.

I understyood now how qlikview handles the collation. I will try to play on the server side right now with the users and see if they ca nget the same results

Regards

JJ