Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Color problem when values are null

Hi,

I'm trying to color a cell. however, I noticed that where there are some nulls (marked in yellow) it doesn't color at all.

Any ideas how to get over this problem?

for me it seems to be a bug.

Attached is a screenshot:

2.JPG

3.JPG

8 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Can you please share your qvw with sample data. I didn't encounter this issue.

What version of QV you are using ?

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Background color expressions only work on cells that do not have null values. You can try setting a general background that applies to all the dimension cells and overrule it where necessary with the Background Color setting.

Or just use the Custom Format Cell option to set the background color for an entire dimension. You can enable that option in the User Setttings on the Design tab with the Always Show Design Menu Items or by enabling the Grid. Then right click a dimension Cell and choose the Custom Format Cell option

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Gysbert,

let me clarify myself - I'm trying to color the 'account_name' column, which is not null, with the red color.

As you can see from my screenshot the second row is colored with red while the first row is not (because of the nulls inkw and sites colomns).

I tried to defined a background color in the custom format cell (see attached screenshot) but it doesn't work well either because I have to select some accounts first.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Capture3.JPG

Gysbert_Wassenaar

A color expression for the Background Color setting can only return a result for an intersection of dimensions values, just like any other expression. If that result is null it does not matter what value the dimension values have. The result of the expression will be null, so no color value is returned, so the dimension cell will not get a color.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

so do you have any idea how to solve it?

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Click on the + in front of the dimension name on the Dimension tab.Click on the Background Color item. Click the Edit button. Enter an expression that calculates a color.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

that's exactly what I did. and still it is not working well...

Screenshot_1.png

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Post a qlikview document that demonstrates the problem.