Skip to main content
Announcements
NEW: Seamless Public Data Sharing with Qlik's New Anonymous Access Capability: TELL ME MORE!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
baylor2016
Creator
Creator

Compatibility issues of Qlikview server.

Hi,

Recently I developed a Qlikview app with11.20 SR5 (Dec 2013 version) and this project does not work on the server which is 11.20 SR1 (March 2013 version). I asked the Server admin team to upgrade to the latest edition or at least 11.20 SR5, but our team does not want to upgrade due to the worries about the compatibility issues for old apps on the server. There are some important projects running on that server. I know experts here must have already experienced this issue. Can we upgrade to the newer version? What are the potential problems? If there are some problems during the server upgrading, what are the backups or strategies? How about the forward compatibility of Qlikview? Which version is the safest to upgrade now?  Last question is what is the benefits to upgrades? We are more than 4 years behind.

Any comments are welcome

Thanks

Longmatch.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

I would downgrade the desktop release to the server release and recreate this application (logic and script could be 1:1 copied - by gui-objects I'm not sure whereby I would try it too).

The main uses of upgrades is to get support (QV11 ended on 31.03.2018) and to get more stability and fewer bugs and by major-releases also some new features. It's not really helpful to update on every new release but occasionally to look into the release-notes if any useful change is announced.

If your projects are important your company should consider to purchase a test-server licence or maybe a second server-licence and to mirror there at first your environment, upgrading it to one of the latest releases, testing it carefully and if it succeed to roll-back it to your production environment (especially for the last step I suggest to get support from your partner or Qlik).

- Marcus

View solution in original post

3 Replies
marcus_sommer

I would downgrade the desktop release to the server release and recreate this application (logic and script could be 1:1 copied - by gui-objects I'm not sure whereby I would try it too).

The main uses of upgrades is to get support (QV11 ended on 31.03.2018) and to get more stability and fewer bugs and by major-releases also some new features. It's not really helpful to update on every new release but occasionally to look into the release-notes if any useful change is announced.

If your projects are important your company should consider to purchase a test-server licence or maybe a second server-licence and to mirror there at first your environment, upgrading it to one of the latest releases, testing it carefully and if it succeed to roll-back it to your production environment (especially for the last step I suggest to get support from your partner or Qlik).

- Marcus

baylor2016
Creator
Creator
Author

The support to 11.20 will expire 3/31/2018. I think that means most bugs have been fixed for 11.20 version. It will be very safe to upgrade our server to 11.20 SR17 from 11.20 SR1 (2013 version).  the current projects works in SR1 will work in SR17. Is this true? I just wanted to convince our Qlikview server team to upgrade the server to SR11. The software at development server is already 11.20 SR17. Please advice. Thanks.

marcus_sommer

Without a very careful and expensive testing you could be never absolutly sure that there are no unexpected results on your application and environment. Normally each newer release will have fewer bugs but this didn't mean mandatory that this didn't cause changes, for example you could use (maybe unaware) some workaround for an old bug and now the bug is fixed and your workaround failed ...

Personally I wouldn't upgrade on 11.2 SR 17 else I would upgrade to 12.2 SR x because QV is now already two years old and has got a quite high degree of stability through various service releases and probably a SR 2/3 of 12.2 should be run very liable within a production environment. The reason for this suggestion is that the work and efforts to upgrade to the last release of QV 11 is the same than to QV 12 and with upgrading to QV 12 there are again 3 - 5 years in which another/further upgrade might not be necessary.

- Marcus