Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Conditional show

Hi,

If we are creating objects with conditional show (chart objects or the pivot objects).  How does it function. When the object is on hide state still the expressions will get calculated and the system resources will be used for hidden chart objects as well or the expressions will get calculated only when it is shown .

7 Replies
its_anandrjs

Hi,

No all the functionality and conditions showns when they are visibles.

Rgds

Anand

Not applicable
Author

I haven't found a document from QlikTech which outline my observation, but as per my experience the resources were used only when it was visible in the system. If you want to restrict the calucation of chart when they are not visible I recommend using the same expression in Properties>General>calculation condition.

IAMDV
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

I might be wrong but this is just my understanding and observation. I think objects are evaluated by QV engine irrespective of whether they are shown/hidden. I have tested with loads of hidden graphs and QV still seems to be calculating for the graphs. And I think that charts are not calculated while they are minimized compared to while they are hidden.

Logically, if they are hidden and if QV is not calculating the chart expression(s)... how will it know when to unhide/show the chart? I mean it has to check to boolean condition everytime the QV engine calculates. And my other experience is that having multiple minimized charts in a sheet is faster than the hidden charts.

I hope this makes sense.

Cheers - DV

Not applicable
Author

Hi DV,

This was the exact concern.But how to check the expression are getting calculated or not when it is hidden.

IAMDV
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi... Its too late now. I will  try to post an example tomorrow. cheers -DV

IAMDV
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Lokesh,

I have performed some tests with 3 different charts. And these charts have complex expression with Concat() functions. And surprised that hidden charts are not consuming any additional overhead compared to the Minimized chart. Only additional overhead is evaulting the boolean expression of whether chart should be hidden or shown. So minimized charts consumed the lowest resources (memory). I have used the GetObjectCalcTime in the SheetObject class.

Below is the code :

Sub Obj_Calc_Time

set so = ActiveDocument.GetSheetObject("CH01")

t = so.GetObjectCalcTime

msgbox(t)

End Sub

Sorry, I can't post the example because of confidential data.

Sorry, this is the best I can provide.

Good luck. I hope this helps!

Cheers - DV

Not applicable
Author

Thanks DV ,

It was helpful to differentiate the resource usage between Minimized and hidden objects.