Skip to main content

QlikView App Dev

Discussion Board for collaboration related to QlikView App Development.

Announcements
Welcome to Qlik Community! Check out our new navigation! FIND OUT MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sibrulotte
Creator III
Creator III

Converting numbers to text, 1 = one ...

Hi,

so I would like to show the number of periods as numbers spelled out for proper presentation. To top it off, in french!

I loaded inline this table as a data island: 

Chiffres:

Load * inline [
Chiffremois, Nombremois
1, un
2, deux
3, trois
4, quatre
5, cinq
6, six
7, sept
8, huit
9, neuf
10, dix

11, onze
12, douze
]
;

So you know, that's pretty french, but you can figure out what the english version is...

I figured I'd do a plain set analysis like this get back my "Nombremois"  

but it's not working out.

=Only({<Chiffremois=[Période financière]>} Nombremois)

BTW,  [Période financière] by itself gives me a 9 in a text box. No alternative states are involved.

Yet I still can't get it to return 'neuf' ...

Anybody want to contribute/lend a hand?

15 Replies
stephencredmond
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Sorry, arriving late to this party.  I have noticed that your syntax is incorrect for the Set:

=Only({<Chiffremois={$(=[Période financière])}>} Nombremois)

Should give you the text that matches if the Période financière is a variable.  When I test this and set it to 9, the text I get is "neuf".

=Only({<Chiffremois={$(=[Période financière]-1)}>} Nombremois)

Will give "huit".

Of course, what happens when the variable is set to 1!  A simple if would work:

=Only({<Chiffremois={$(=If([Période financière]=1,12,[Période financière]-1))}>} Nombremois)

Regards,

Stephen

sibrulotte
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi Période financière was not a variable. I tried storing the value in a vPériodefinancière variable to test what you were stating and I did not get a proper result for the above mentionned synthax with a -1.

I'll try and test it later when I actually have time to experiment further.

Also, this relates to a question I was asking with alternate states:

http://community.qlik.com/thread/109605

I am trying to retrieve a selection from the default alternate state and storing it to a variable to use in a set analysis of a "comparative" alternate state. If you find something there, it seems I'm never able to use variables in set analysis, and I'm getting frustrated .

last thing:

http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/653707-tuna-the-chiweenie

I laughed so hard when I read this, I thought you might also chukle at it

stephencredmond
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

I guess that I am still not exactly sure what it is that you want to achieve.

If you look at the attached application, it shows some playing with disconnected data using Set Analysis.  I don't know if it is close to what you want.

Perhaps, if you step back from the specific problem and describe what you want to have happen then we can recommend a good approach?

Regards,

Stephen

sibrulotte
Creator III
Creator III
Author

that actually works, I had just forgot that my initial load inline was done with a key to the calendar. and never went back to it. I took out the key, and the function works great.

Now, I added a test, if Période is lower than 7, no substarction, otherwise, substract 6.

See file.

6 works, but anything below returns null.

Any idea what is wrong there?

stephencredmond
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

Because one of your expressions resulted in a return value of -1, this is invalid in a numeric set and needs to be quoted - even though that isn't the set that is used!

=if([Période financière]<7,Concat({<Chiffremois={$(=Max([Période financière]))}>} Nombremois, ',', Chiffremois),Concat({<Chiffremois={"$(=Max([Période financière]-6))"}>} Nombremois, ',', Chiffremois))

Stephen

sibrulotte
Creator III
Creator III
Author

So I'm pretty much screwed, unless I set variables ahead according to the selection value I guess.

That's not going to happen since the boss said he prefers numbers now...

I love my job.