Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amber2000
Creator
Creator

Count Aggr on Dimension anomaly

Hello Fellow Qlik Users,

I have a strange problem in my pivot table chart.

I use 3 expressions

1) Expression  #Colli    =Sum({$ <[SD_WH] -= {12}, [Aisle_Zone] -= {PBS_Containers, PBS_Displays}> }[SD_Shipped_Colli])

Calculate the Sum of "SD_Shipped_Colli" based on the current selection

but before calculating:

- Exclude records equal to "12" in field "SD_WH"

- Exclude records equal to "PBS_Containers" and "PBS_Displays" in field Aisle_Zone

2) for the second Expression #Pallets I use a combination of Count and Aggr function:

= Count({$ <[SD_WH] -= {12}, [Aisle_Zone] -= {PBS_Containers, PBS_Displays}> }aggr(count([Aisle_Facturation]), SD_Dest_Pallet))

Count the distinct values of  "SD_Dest_Pallet" based on the current selection

but before Counting:

- Exclude records equal to "PBS_Containers" and "PBS_Displays" in field Aisle_Zone

- Group by Aisle_Facturation

3) the third expression Colli / Pal Uit is the result out of the divide Expression1 by Expression2

= #Colli / #Pallets

This is presented per month and if I select only one month there is no problem, select up to 6  months no problem BUT if I select more then 6 months the data changes for the expression #Pallets where I use the Aggr function:

When I select 1 month the #Pallets value for jan is correct:

Indicatoren 1 maand uit aggr function.png

When I select 6 months the #Pallets value for jan is correct:

Indicatoren 6 maand uit aggr function.png

When I select a whole year (2015) the #Pallets value for jan is changed and not correct anymore.

Indicatoren 1 jaar uit aggr function.png

Does anybody know why my aggregate calculation is done correctly up until 6 months and when I select more months the calculation is going wrong. (The dataset contains +- 30.000.000 records)

kind regards,

Monique

19 Replies
sunny_talwar

This expression doesn't fit the description:

= Count({$ <[SD_WH] -= {12}, [Aisle_Zone] -= {PBS_Containers, PBS_Displays}> }aggr(count([Aisle_Facturation]), SD_Dest_Pallet))

2) for the second Expression #Pallets I use a combination of Count and Aggr function:

Count the distinct values of  "SD_Dest_Pallet" based on the current selection

but before Counting:

- Group by Aisle_Facturation

Do you need this?

=Count({$ <[SD_WH] -= {12}, [Aisle_Zone] -= {PBS_Containers, PBS_Displays}>} Aggr(Count(DISTINCT SD_Dest_Pallet), [Aisle_Facturation]))

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Besides what Sunny mentioned, shouldn't you use Sum() as outer aggregation function?

And the reason why your data changes might be caused by a dimensional grain mismatch:

Pitfalls of the Aggr function

You are using a dimension SD_Dest_Pallet as dimension to aggr() function, but three different dimensions in your chart.

Take care that your grain in the aggr() function is lower than in the chart.

kamielrajaram
Creator III
Creator III

Hi,

Maybe Try This

Count(aggr(count(DISTINCT {$ <[SD_WH] -= {12}, [Aisle_Zone] -= {PBS_Containers, PBS_Displays}> } [Aisle_Facturation]), SD_Dest_Pallet,Other Dimensions))

Regards

Kamiel

amber2000
Creator
Creator
Author

Hello Kamiel

What do you mean with other dimensions?

Can you give an example please?

I've noticed that when I make a single selection of the Aisle_Facturation (for example PBL_OVERIGE) the values for # pallets also changes to a different value.

My theory for that is that when you select an individual dimension value the aggr() purpose is gone and the distinct function is used (that's what I see in the details of the data anyway), is this correct?

Kind regards,

Monique

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Hi Monique,

I vaguely remember a very similar discussion some months ago, were you involved in that?

Have you read the blog post I've linked above or

Q-Tip # 14 – AGGR() and Synthetic Dimensions | Natural Synergies

I think what you are seeing here is the DISTINCTness of the Aggr() function.

If I remember correctly the past discussion, that's what you explictely want to have, counting each item only once, even when it has multiple relations to the chart dimension values.

But maybe I am totally wrong here, so you might need to shed some light on your complete requirements.

kamielrajaram
Creator III
Creator III

Hi Monique,

By other dimensions, I meant Year, month, year and month. Also to use the fields in your cyclic group.

Sum(aggr(count(DISTINCT {$ <[SD_WH] -= {12}, [Aisle_Zone] -= {PBS_Containers, PBS_Displays}> } [Aisle_Facturation]), SD_Dest_Pallet,Year, Month,[Aisle_Facturation]))

Regards

Kamiel

amber2000
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Kamiel

I Can't use your statement because then I loose the Distinct even though there is a Distinct in the expression.

Monique

amber2000
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi ,

Yes I was Started that discussion and then I thought the problem was solved.

Sadly I discovered that it wasn't solved completely when I selected a whole year and then one value of the dimension Aisle_Facturation.

Now I've read the post and it's still puzzling me on how to fix my problem (I can't use NODISTINCT to solve this because I need the distinct values)

What I'm trying to achieve is:

A distinct Count of SD_Dest_Pallets over

-  Aisle_Facturation

-  Shop_Ens

-  per Month (can be multiple months up to more than a year)

Additionally when necessary I want to see the the data per SD_Delivery_Date

• One SD_Destination_Pallet can appear in 2 different SD_Delivery_Date (so this is also the case for month, a SD_Destination_Pallet can appear in 2 different months when the date is at the end of the month)
  • One SD_Destination_Pallet can appear in different Aisle_Facturation
  • A SD_Destination_Pallet can't appear in different Shop_Ens

It was indeed what I asked but when I select a Year the data shouldn't change per month for #pallets and Colli/Pal Uit

I can understand that I loose the distinct when I select one value of Aisle_Facturation but not the change in values per month if I select more then 6 months.

Is it wright when I think of Aggr() as a kind of Group By?

Kind regards,

Monique

amber2000
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Kamiel,

I'm so sorry that I keep bothering you all about this issue but it's very important and I need to present my results thursday and it doesn't work.

I'm getting so frustrated with the aggr() but I'm almost there.

This is now my expression:

Sum(aggr(Count({$ <[SD_WH] -= {12}, [Aisle_Zone] -= {PBS_Containers, PBS_Displays}> } DISTINCT SD_Dest_Pallet), Year, MonthYear, Month, WeekDay, SD_Delivery_Date, Logistical_Flow, Shop_Ens))

I know that I didn't use all the dimension from the cyclic groups because I don't get the wright result.

This is an example that I use to make things a little bit clearer:

2016-05-24 18_25_19-Clipboard.png     

This is what the result should be, the Count is correct for SD_Dest_Pallet but the Sum for SD_Shipped_Colli is not.

Month;SD_Delivery_Date;Aisle_Facturation;Shop_Ens;SD_Dest_Pallet;SD_Shipped_Colli;SD_Dest_Pallet
jun;20150618;PBL_OVERIGE;Price_List Partner;554001020020431209;31;1
jun;20150618;PBS_OVERIGE;Price_List Partner;554001020020000047;3;1

This example is also visible in the attached qvw.

I would really happy if someone could help me figure this out. there is still something missing but I don't see what.

Kind regards,

Monique