Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Count amount of logins

Hey everyone,

Im developing an app wich logs the use of another application. I want to be able to show how many times

someone logged into my app. These logins are logged into qlikview log files and each time a new session log is made, a login is counted for that user.

The problem I'm facing is that I make use of different clouds and that changing clouds in the app makes a new session log for each cloud.

For example:

Session logfile:

20-03-2017     Document/...../CLOUD1     User1

20-03-2017     Document/...../CLOUD1     User2

20-03-2017     Document/...../CLOUD3     User1

20-03-2017     Document/...../CLOUD4     User3

In the logfile above you see there's 3 different users and multiple "logins". With changing clouds, there's a total of 3 logins.

But if I count each line theres 4 "logins".

Is there a way to simply count each debtor as one per day and then count that as a login?

If I use a distinct count, this will result in a distinct count over the year too, so thats not what I want.

I can't share any data atm, due to secrecy. I can make some sample data later, if needed.

Thanks in advance!

Ivo

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

I dont know exactly why its formed in this way, but I found another solution.

I created an extra "Login Table" which does a load Distinct of the User and Date.
This combination gets counted as 1.

This will count the logins per day as one and summed up per year for example

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Anil_Babu_Samineni

May be check those log by Unique key like Count(DISTINCT Users)

Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

What do the "clouds" refer to?

Not applicable
Author

Clouds are different locations of .qvw files.

For example: Cloud1 refers to a page which covers the Finance aspect and Cloud2 refers to a page which covers the Sales aspect.

Its possible to switch between the clouds from 1 .qvw file

Not applicable
Author

I tried using a distinct count, but if I want to see the amount of logins per year then its also a distinct count and thats not what I want. I only want a distinct count per day

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Then you need to elaborate a little bit on what is a log in and what is not. For QlikView, by default, a session is the combination of Cluster/Server + Time + User + Document

If changing to a different tab of the same application should count as a different login you will need something like this in a chart where Month is a dimension

Count(TOTAL <Cluster, Document, Sheet> DISTINCT User)

Not applicable
Author

I see a solution in here. The only problem is that there's no specific login server or something.

You can open the different clouds without having a start page. For example you can start the app on cloud1 but also on cloud 3

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

But again, what is a log in for your purposes? If all clouds are in the same QVW, then using the session logs as they are will work.

If by using the auditing log or extensive auditing log you need to know in which specific sheet (cloud) of the same QVW the user got in order to count it as a different "login" then you need to specify such logic.

Not applicable
Author

I dont know exactly why its formed in this way, but I found another solution.

I created an extra "Login Table" which does a load Distinct of the User and Date.
This combination gets counted as 1.

This will count the logins per day as one and summed up per year for example

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Are these logins related to the usage of licenses or it's just a totally different logic? Note that without knowing the application, the model and which logic do you want to apply is impossible to give any accurate reply.